Raahe is a city in the Oulu province, 74 km south of the city of Oulu. With 22,500 inhabitants, Raahe is the third largest town in the region. The town is strongly associated with the steel industry, through the huge Rautaruukki steel mill as well as Finnish rules baseball (pesäpallo) through the Pattijoki team.
The highway 8 E8 running along the Finnish west coast from Tornio to Turku passes next to Raahe. Driving is the most comfortable way to get into Raahe.
The only form public transportation to Raahe is the bus, as the railway is used for goods transport only. Buses traveling on the section between Oulu and Kokkola (ie. generally from Oulu or Rovaniemi to Kokkola, Vaasa or Turku) stop at Raahe.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- Otaxi offers taxi service in Raahe
- 1 Raahe Church, Kirkkokatu 10, ☏ . Built in 1912 using granite stone from the archipelago outside Raahe.
- 2 Urho Kekkonen statue, Rantapuisto. A statue of Finland's longest serving president, Urho Kekkonen.
- 3 Ruukki Steel Mill. One of the biggest steel mills in Europe, and a major employer in Raahe.
- 4 Raahen merimuseo, Rantakatu 33, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mo-Fr noon-6PM, weekends noon-4PM. The sea museum of Raahe. Lots of stuff about seafaring and the oldest scuba gear in the world! adults 2€, childrens, students, retired visitors 1€, families 3,50€, groups over 10 persons 1€/person, student groups 0,50€/student.
- 5 Old Raahe. Old Raahe is also worth seeing, it covers a big area from the centre and consists of very old wooden houses. The market-square in Old Raahe is the Finland's second best preserved square-shaped empire style marketplace.
- 6 Tornitalo (The tower house), Rantakatu 51. A good view over Raahe and especially over the archipelago. They have a Chinese restaurant which serves delicious Chinese food.
- 1 Bio Huvimylly, Rantakatu 7. A remarkable movie theatre!
- 2 Rännärin pesäpallostadion. In the summer season, you can go and see a match of pesäpallo - Finnish rules baseball. Pattijoen Urheilijat of the highest pesäpallo league (Superpesis) plays their home games at Rännäri field which is located in Pattijoki village, 5 km from Raahe.
Lots of flea markets all over town, check them out.
- 1 Tori-Grilli, Kauppatori, ☏ . Inside the bus station. Traditional Finnish Grill cuisine. Veggie burger is definitely worth checking out, as well as tonnari (tuna burger). You should also try out the cornerstone of Finnish Grill food, Käristemakkara.
- 2 Alto Mare, Kirkkokatu 27, ☏ . Mo-Th 11AM-8PM, Fr 11AM-9PM, Sa noon-9PM, Su noon-8PM. A pizzeria with good pizzas but terrible service.
- 3 Take Away, Antinkankaantie 30, ☏ . According to some the best Finnish Grill cuisine. The kebab in this place is rumored to be the best in Finland.
- 4 Madonna, Lappastentie 1 (opposite to the Neste gas station), ☏ . Mo-Th 11AM-10PM, Fr 11AM-midnight, Sa 4PM-midnight, Su 2PM-10PM. Competes with Take Away about the best Finnish Grill cuisine title. It's just a matter of opinion.
- 5 Ararat, Kirkkokatu 22, ☏ . Mo-Fr 10.30AM-10PM, Sa-Su noon-10PM. Armenian restaurant in Kirkkokatu, not very chic but the food is great. The only Armenian restaurant in northern Finland.
The hotels also have mid-range eating options.
- 1 Nuorisokahvila Cuppi (Youth Cafe Cuppi), Laivurinkatu 11B. Over 100 different coffees and very good filled rolls.
- 2 Tiina-Elina, Kauppakatu 52, ☏ . Mo-Fr 07:30AM-5PM, Sa 09AM-2PM. A bakery with a cafe.
Bars and pubsEdit
- 3 [dead link] Kapteenin Kulma ja Kellari, Kirkkokatu 32.
- 4 Pub Ottopoika, Laivurinkatu 18-20, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mo-Su 9AM-2PM. Very cheap pint. Billiards table, darts, video games, jukebox, Internet.
- 1 [dead link] SFC Lohenpyrstö, Lohenpyrstöntie 53, Pattijoki. A trailer park at the shore, some kilometers north of Raahe.
- 2 Ravintola-hotelli Tiiranlinna, Uimahallintie 4, ☏ . 24 h. The price includes a ticket to the nearby swimming centre Vesipekka, WiFi in the room and breakfast.
- 3 Ravintola-hotelli Raahen Hovi, Kirkkokatu 28, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 24 h. In the city center.
- Kalajoki — A town known for its sand beaches and a water amusement park.
- Oulu — The largest city in northern Finland.
|Routes through Raahe|
|Kokkola ← Kalajoki ←||SW NE||→ Liminka → Oulu|