Raetihi is a small town 11 km from the neighbouring town of Ohakune in the Ruapehu District of the central North Island of New Zealand. Near the beautiful Tongariro National Park, it boasts amazing views of the three sacred volcanoes of Ruapehu, Tongariro and Ngauruhoe, and is a base for skiing and hiking in the park.
Formerly a forestry milling town, tourists now flock to the region to explore the outdoors in all seasons. Accommodation in ski season is usually a little cheaper than in the ski centres. Differing from neighbouring towns, Raetihi has many activities outside of the ski season, including the infamous Raetihi Gutbuster bike/run/walk.
Raetihi is small enough that the entire town is walking distance of the main shopping street, Seddon Street.
Crossing over State Highway 4 from Seddon Street leads on to the Raetihi Ohakune Road and a 10-minute drive to Ohakune.
- 1 Dinosaur House, 102 Seddon St, ☏ . Tu-F 10AM-4PM Sa-Su 10AM-5PM. A collection of over 100 dinosaur skeletons and models, which may be of particular interest to children. $12.
- Glow Worm Grotto. All year round.
- 2 Mount Ruapehu. Unless you visit Raetihi with your eyes shut, you won't miss seeing New Zealand's largest active volcano.
- 3 Waimarino Museum, 101 Seddon St, ☏ . Sun 1PM – 4PM. Local museum in the old railway station, with an old jail and police stables.
- 4 Whanganui River.
- Raetihi Gutbuster. April; Easter Sunday. Mountain bike and run challenge
- 1 Raetihi Royal Theatre. All year round. Built in 1915.
- Makotuku River Track. All year round. Escape the village and take a serene walk along the river track
- Raetihi Country Market. Most months of the year.
- Waimarino A&P Show. February.
- Waimarino Rodeo. March. The oldest continuing running rodeo in New Zealand
- Waimarino Art Awards. July.
- Raetihi Ripper. November. 2 day trail bike ride through open farm land and forestry tracks
- Raetihi Christmas Carnival. December.
- Hiking. One-day or multi-day hiking in Tongariro National Park, including the world-class one-day Tongariro Alpine Crossing through volcanic landscapes.
- Skiing. In winter, go ski Mt Ruapehu in Tongariro National Park, the main ski area in the North Island.
- Barbed Wire Gallery, 80 Seddon St.