Raipur is largest city and capital of Chhattisgarh. There is not a great deal for visitors to see with most tourists visiting the surrounding region.
- 1 Swami Vivekananda Airport (RPR IATA Raipur Airport) (Situated in Mana, 20 km (12 mi) south of Raipur City).
Raipur Airport is served by the following operators:
- Air Deccan Bhubaneswar, Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Ranchi
- Air India (Bhopal, Delhi)
- Indigo (Bangalore, Hyderabad)
For traveling from the airport to the city, it is better to book a taxi in advance. The travel counter in the airport has high prices. The taxi drivers outside the airport charge the same high rates as the counter if not booked in advance.
There are many shops near the station, including an internet café across from the Raipur junction (orange sign).
Jagdalpur is 300 km and five hours away via good roads.
Tuk tuks are available from the train and bus station. Booking through a mobile app is cheaper if you want to save a few rupees.
- 1 Mahant Ghasi Memorial Museum (near Kutchery chowk intersection). a small but well maintained museum with exhibits on the history of the state and an impressive collection of carvings, upstairs has a display of tribal artifacts and models. The museum ground has a beautiful open air restaurant where you can try interesting tribal food at street food prices, There is also a well equipped government tourist office, recommended. Museum, 5 rupees.
- Banjari Mata Mandir, Bilaspur Road.
- 2 Mahaveer Park (Anupam Garden).
- Nagar Ghadi (City Clock Tower) (Near the Shastri Chowk and Dau Kalyan Singh hospital).
- Nandanvan Zoo/garden, Bhilai Road.
- Urja Park, Mana Road.
- 3 Vivekananda Sarovar (Budha Talab). A large statue in the center of a somewhat shabby lake (under refurbishment). Built in honour of Swami Vivekanada who was chief disciple of the 19th-century Indian mystic Ramakrishna and is credited with introducing yoga and Vedanta to the western world. There are boat rides in the evening.
- Raipur town hall, a renovated Victorian-era hall between the station and bus stand. (Collectorate, Kachche Wali Chowk Garden Ke Paas, Raipur)
Visit the city's shopping malls (Chattisgarh Mall, RK mall, Magneto The Mall, Big Bazaar and Kishore shopping mall).
As Raipur is a hub for clothing sales, you can purchase fine garments cheaply at Pandri Market. Dealers of whole Chhattisgarh are found in one place at Pandri Market near the new bus stand.
- Chowpaty in front of Salem English School
- Have some desi ghee tikki at Phool chowk
- Wada and imarti at Sadar Bazaar.
- Madrasi & Mezbaan restaurant at Malviya Road & Baijnath Para Resp. are special for non veg. Excellent Thali at Mahaveer Thali Jail Road
- Indian Coffee House, Dangania, G.E.Road or Civil Lines. (three branches).
- Ten Downing Street (TDS), at Magneto The Mall.
There are many cheap hotels near the main station and on "Station Chowk" road, turn left leaving after leaving Raipur Junction train station and follow the main road east. Rooms starting from 300RP and dormitories starting from 100RP
- Hotel Chimambara International VIP Crossing, PO Ravigram, Raipur 4920001. Tel (0771) 2444401-09; Fax (0771) 2444410; Email firstname.lastname@example.org. A basic business hotel, AC, close to the airport. ₹1500-₹2500.
- Hotel Royale Ambience, Shri Guru Gobind Singh Chowk, Fafadih, Station Rd, ☏ . A deluxe business hotel, AC, close to the railway station.
- Hotel Babylon International
- Hotel Celebration
Hotel Mayura, Hotel Mahindra, Hotel Babylon and Hotel Picadely are 3-4 star hotels with good facilities.
Jagdalpur, A city in Bastar (south) used as a stepping stone to Chitrakote waterfall, Indravati valley national park and the tribal areas. The overnight bus is the best option (400 Rupees from the bus stand) as the train takes around 15 hours. There is an armed conflict in this region so follow the news.
Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary, over 556 km2 and having an altitude of between 327 and 736 m above the sea level the park offers year round wildlife viewing (It is uncertain if the park is open to foreign tourists due to the ongoing armed conflict in the area)