Reutlingen is a city in Baden-Württemberg.
It is an industrial city at the foot of the Swabian Mountains, home to Robert Bosch GmbH's Automotive Electronics division as well as Reutlingen University (FH Reutlingen). The University is home to the highly-regarded European School of Business, as well as Production Management and International Business schools. This school was founded to support the textile industry that once thrived in Reutlingen (Hugo Boss's headquarters is located in neighboring Metzingen), but which has since been replaced by Bosch as the town's main source of industry.
From the Stuttgart Airport the X3 bus, leaving in front of the terminal 2, takes you to the city center (Stadtmitte). The journey takes about 45 minutes and costs 6,60€. For more information to the airport see the Stuttgart page.
There are regular train service to and from Tübingen (10 minutes/ 3,20€) and Stuttgart (35 minutes/ 11,80€).
The long-distance bus market has been rapidly expanding in Germany, ever since the passing of a new law in 2013, which enabled companies such as FlixBus to take hold in most parts of the nation. There are dozens of daily services from the majority of major german cities, often significantly cheaper than the alternatives such as train or car. Most buses offer amenities like Wi-Fi and power outlets and some can even transport bicycles. The best resource for checking connections is this German website. All buses leave from the 1 Haltestelle Bahnhofstraße, Bahnhofstraße 12 (next to the train station). . DeinBus and MünchenLinie offer routes to e.g. München, Berlin, Nürnberg and Freiburg.
Reutlingens public transport is part of the Naldo transport network. They have an amazing variety of different tickets for group travel, etc. For a single traveller inside Reutlingen you would get a Einzelfahrschein (Single trip) or a Tageskarte (Day ticket) for one Zone (Wabe). The Einzelfahrschein is valid for 1 hour, the Tageskarte is valid for the rest of the day and costs twice as much as the Einzelfahrschein. The tickets can be bought when you get on the bus or accasionally at ticket machines at the bus stops. The tickets are also valid on the trains (if you have bought a ticket for enough zones) however you cannot buy them on the train, so make sure you have a valid ticket before you get on, otherwise you will be charged a 40€ fine.
- 1 Marienkirche (St. Mary's church), upper end of Wilhelmstraße, Weibermarkt. The Marienkirche was constructed between 1247 and 1343. It is regarded as one of the most significant gothic buildings in Swabia. The church was built to thank the virgin Mary for the end of the siege the enemy troops of Landgraf Heinrich Raspe.
- 2 Spreuerhofstraße. The narrowest street in the world, measuring 31cm in width. The lane was built in 1727 during the reconstruction efforts after the area was completely destroyed in the massive city-wide fire of 1726.
- Outlet shopping in Metzingen (By train (less than 10 minutes)). The close-by city of Metzingen features outlet shops for almost any major brand. It is well known far bayond Reutlingen as it is often packed with Japanese tourists.
- Swabian Mountains. Beautiful castles, caves or hiking through the green mountain range can be all done in a easy day trip from Reutlingen.
Reutlingen's main shopping street is the Wilhelmstraße. It has many small shops as well as the bigger stores such as H&M and Breuninger
- Hugo Boss Outlet, Kanalstraße 6, Metzingen. Suits
In the city center of Reutlingen there are many restaurants. Döner Kebap, the excellent Turkish fast-food, can be found on almost every corner of downtown.
Pubs and BarsEdit
- 1 [dead link] Irish Pub, Marktplatz 18, Reutlingen (At the market square). An Irish pub where you won't have any problems ordering a drink in English.
- 2 Alexandre, Marktplatz 20, ☏ . 08:00 - 01:00 (Weekends till 02:00). Bistro style establishment, also serves food. Nice outside seating area
- Mezcalitos, Lederstr. 126, Obere Wässere, 72764 Reutlingen, ☏ . 17:00-01:00, weekends till 02:00, Sunday open from 12:00. Spanish / Mexican style bar
- 3 Kaiserhalle, Kaiserstr. 58. Fr-Sa 18:00-05:00. Great alternative pub with football, live gigs and rock music.