Rockport is a town of 7,000 people (2010) in Massachusetts on Cape Ann. The town, once famous for granite production, got its start as an artist colony in the late 1800s. Rockport is a favorite vacation spot and day trip for many who come to enjoy the concentration of shops and galleries on Bearskin Neck, the rugged, rocky coastline or some ultra-fresh lobsters or other seafood.
Interstate 95 to Route 128 to Route 127. Downtown has parking meters ($.25 per half-hour) and often has no spots. Rockport has a free parking facility, the Blue Gate Parking Lot (open June-Oct), located as you arrive on Route 127 about 1/4 mi (400 m) past the Rockport Visitor Information booth. From the parking lot, it is about a 3/4-mile walk to downtown Rockport, but a shuttle to town only costs $1 each way.
The commuter rail run from Boston's North Station is about a 70-minute trip and costs $7.75 one-way. Rockport's station is off Railroad Avenue, less than a mile from the center of town.
The Cape Ann Transportation Authority (CATA), ☏ , runs buses from town to town on Cape Ann.
The main tourist areas are very compact and walkable. Having a car lets one explore some of the other coastal areas.
- Motif #1, the widely known subject of many paintings.
- 1 Halibut Point State Park, Gott Av (3 mi north of town on Rt. 127), ☏ . Daily dawn to dusk. Beautiful coastline views, visitor center, walking trails, and tidal pools. A renovated World War II fire tower provides a scenic view. Weekend quarry tours and granite cutting demonstrations take place in summer. Great place to picnic. Parking $10, MA Residents $5.
- Paper House, 52 Pigeon Hill St (Rt. 127 north to Curtis St.), ☏ . Daily Apr-Oct, 10AM-5PM. Bizarre 1922 vintage house built entirely of 100,000 newspapers even housing a newspaper-covered piano. Admission: adults $1.50, children $1.
- [dead link] I.N. Kamalic Gallery, 8 Main Street suite B, ☏ .
- John Caggiano Gallery, ☏ . 66 Bearskin Neck (also 4 Main St.).
- Nancy Caplan, 5 Gott Street, ☏ .
- Correale Gallery, ☏ . 23 Dock Square.
- Cynthia Curtis Pottery, 80 Pigeon Hill Street, ☏ .
- Fielding Gallery, 12 Dock Square, ☏ .
- Good Dog! Gallery, 6 Dock Square, ☏ .
- Harborview Gallery, 67C Bearskin Neck, ☏ .
- Harvard Babson Gallery, 10 Jewett Street, ☏ .
- Kanegis Gallery, 13 Bearskin Neck, ☏ .
- London Venturers Co., 2 Dock Square, ☏ .
- Don Mosher Gallery, 13 Main Street, ☏ .
- Tom Nicholas Gallery, 7 Wildon Heights, ☏ .
- North Shore Galleries, 18 Bearskin Neck, ☏ .
- [dead link] Reverie Gallery, 21 Mt. Pleasant Street, ☏ .
- Square Circle, 11 Dock Square, ☏ .
- [formerly dead link] Michael Stoffa Gallery, 41 Main Street, ☏ .
- Paul Strisik Gallery, 89 Marmion Way, ☏ .
- Summer House Gallery, 23 Dock Square, ☏ .
- Thistle Fine Art, 8A Main Street, ☏ .
- Tidal Edge Gallery, 3 School Street, ☏ .
- Traveling Paintbrush, 8 Pasture Road, ☏ .
- [dead link] John Walker Gallery, 60 Bearskin Neck, ☏ .
- Wenniger Art Gallery, 19 Mt. Pleasant Street, ☏ .
- Rockport Golf Club, 60 South Street, ☏ .
- North Shore Kayak Outdoor Center, 9 Tuna Wharf, ☏ .
- Windhover Performing Arts Center, 257(R) Granite St, ☏ .
- I.N. Kamalic Gallery, 8-B Main Street, ☏ . Original paintings and sculpture by Ivan N. Kamalic
- Country Store, Bearskin Neck. Get candies that are hard to find in other shops.
- Village Silversmith, 6 Tuna Wharf, ☏ . (2nd location at Dock Sq.). Beautiful, unusual stones in artisan silver work. One of the best collections of cut agate anywhere.
- [dead link] Sweet Remembrances, ☏ . 47 Bearskin Neck. Vintage photos of you.
- Rockport Quilt Shop, 2 Ocean Av, ☏ . Over 100 antique quilts.
- Tuck's Candies, 15 Main Street, ☏ . and Dock Square.
- Bearskin Neck Leathers, 7 Old Harbor Rd (to the left on Bearskin Neck), ☏ . An unusual array of fine quality leather goods. Outerwear, Handbags, Wallets and accessories. Best selection of Dansko Clogs, NAOT Sandals and Minnetonka Slippers. Same location since it was established in 1974.
- Brackett's Oceanview Restaurant, 25 Main St, ☏ . Seasonal. Su-F 11:30AM-8PM, Sa 11:30AM-9PM. Lunch $8-20, Dinner $11-27.
- The Greenery, 15 Dock Sq, ☏ . 8AM-9:30PM.
- [formerly dead link] The Blue Sapphire, 127 Granite St, ☏ . $15-30.
- My Place by the Sea, ☏ . Bearskin Neck. Wonderful, breathtaking spot at the very end of Bearskin Neck.
A dry town for 70 years until 2005, restaurants and inns serve liquor, but there are no bars or liquor stores.
- Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge, 64 Bearskin Neck, ☏ .
- Captain's Bounty Motor Inn, 1 Beach St, ☏ .
- Eagle House, 8 Cleaves St, ☏ .
- Motel Peg Leg, 10 Beach St, ☏ .
- Sandy Bay Motor Inn, 183 Main St, ☏ .
- Cape Hedge Inn, 151 South St, ☏ .
- [formerly dead link] Turk's Head Motor Inn, 151 South St, ☏ .
- Emerson Inn by the Sea, 1 Cathedral Ave., ☏ , ✉ ILAEmerson@ila-chateau.com. This charming oceanfront hotel 35 miles NE of Boston combines modern comfort with traditional graciousness. Try the popular whale watching tours. This particular in is set on a beautiful piece of property overlooking Bearskin Neck and Halibut Point. What is interesting about this particular in is that it is set in the middle of a residential neighborhood, unlike the other inns in Rockport. Not only do guest enjoy their stay their, but locals who live in the community enjoy dinners and drink there. A simply charming place to stay. From $125.
- Seaward Inn, 44 Marmion Way, ☏ .
- Yankee Clipper Inn, 127 Granite St, ☏ .
- Addison Choate, 49 Broadway, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 7 rooms, free parking.
Bed & BreakfastsEdit
- Beach Knoll Inn, 30 Beach St, ☏ .
- Bullfinch House, 96 Granite St, ☏ .
- Captain's House, 69 Marmion Way, ☏ . 5 rooms, oceanfront.
- Hedges by the Sea, 165 Granite St, ☏ .
- Lantana House, ☏ . 22 Broadway.
- Linden Tree Inn, 26 King St, ☏ .
- Mooring Stone Bed & Breakfast, 12 Norwood Av, ☏ .
- Pleasant Street Inn, 17 Pleasant St, ☏ .
- Rocky Shores Manor House, 65 Eden Rd, ☏ .
- Sally Webster Inn, 34 Mt. Pleasant St, ☏ .
- The Seafarer Inn, 50 Marmion Way, ☏ .
- The Tuck Inn B&B, 17 High St, ☏ .
- Windmere Guest House, 24 Smith Rd, ☏ .
- York House, 35 King St, ☏ .
- Yuletide Inn, 51 Mount Pleasant St, ☏ .
|Routes through Rockport|
|END ← Gloucester ←||N S||→ Gloucester → Beverly|
|Beverly ← Gloucester ←||SW NE||→ END|