Rockport is a small city in the South Barrier Coast region of Texas, about 45 minutes north up the Gulf of Mexico coast from Corpus Christi. It's right between Copano Bay to the west, on the coast of Aransas Bay. Aransas Bay is around 4 miles wide at this point, with the Gulf of Mexico beyond.
Get in Edit
The primary way to enter Rockport is via Corpus Christi then Portland. Take Highway 181 to 35, in Rockport turn on Business 35. It's approximately 3.5 hours south of San Antonio.
There is also a very nice airport near Fulton, just a few miles north, though Corpus Christi is the nearest commercial airport. Many of the major airlines fly into Corpus, though most flights originate in Houston or San Antonio.
Get around Edit
Local transit seems to largely be via automobile, but bicycles are also a good way and the city has many sidewalks linking the various parts. Electric vehicles such as Golf Carts are permitted within the city limits as well.
- Texas Maritime Museum, 1202 Navigation Cir, ☏ . M-F 10AM-4PM. The Mission of the Texas Maritime Museum is to educate and excite the public about maritime history and its importance to the development and current livelihood of the state.
- 1 Rockport Beach Park (Rockport Beach), 210 Seabreeze Dr, ☏ . 6AM-midnight. Rockport Beach Park overlooks Aransas Bay on the south Texas coast. This man-made beach is known for its pristine sand and amenities as well as its family-friendly environment. Vacationers will find volleyball courts, picnic tables, play areas, and a pier that’s a hot spot for bird watching and fishing. Additionally, travelers can go for a stroll along the promenade that backs the sands or set up chairs for relaxing and sunbathing on the beach, which past sun-seekers praised for its overall cleanliness. In fact, the shore is so pristine that it was recognized as the first Blue Wave Beach in Texas by the Clean Beaches Coalition. $10 daily or $40 yearly.
- Rockport Country Club.
- 1 Fulton Fishing Pier (Fulton Pier), Fulton Harbor Park, Fulton. 24/7. The Fulton Fishing Pier is a 1500-foot wooden fishing pier located in Aransas County Texas. It was built in 2021 and has state-of-the-art LED fishing lights. The pier is open 24/7 and is open to the public. Entry to the pier is free to the public but a $5 per pole charge will be collected for those that want to fish. Free and $5 per fishing pole.
Also see nearby Fulton, which has some really good restaurants.
- The Boiling Pot, 201 S Fulton Beach Rd, ☏ . Along Fulton Beach, Cajun-style fresh seafood, served dumped on butchers paper on your table. Extremely good food and service. It looks pretty questionable from the outside, but that's all for appearances. $19.95 per person for the Cajun Combo.
- Paradise Key Dockside Bar & Grill (Paradise Keys), 165 Cove Harbor N, ☏ , email@example.com. 11AM-9PM. Enjoy breathtaking views of nature at its finest…and while you’re here, enjoy the finest cuisine the Coastal Bend has to offer. We specialize in freshly prepared seafood and unique “Marina Munchies”, plus steaks, Rockport’s best burgers, and delicious tropical drinks.
- Holiday Inn Express, 925 Lady Claire St, ☏ . Views of the bay, a smallish motel (not hotel like most Holiday Inn Expresses). Along the main drag in town, with a park to the south and the gulf across the street to the east. The whole hotel is covered by free Wireless Internet.
- Hunt's Castle, 725 S. Water St, ☏ , toll-free: . Three story waterfront motel on Aransas Bay. Suites, kitchenettes, and cabins. $99-$150 a night, discounts for weekly/monthly stays.
- Harbour Inn, 209 N Austin St, ☏ . Some rooms have harbor views. $59 (Jan 2022).
- Copano Cottages, 5481 Hwy 35 N, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Copano Cottages offers ten pet-friendly cottages ranging from 1 bedroom to 3 bedrooms and includes parking for boats. $119-225 a night.
WiFi is located in most places. The Holiday Inn Express is one of the few places that has free WiFi.
The town is well covered by mobile providers, including Sprint CDMA and AT&T GSM.
Go next Edit
North of town across the bay is the 'Goose Island State Park, which includes a tree over a thousand years old, a huge fishing pier, and free WiFi Internet access from the Visitors Center. Day passes are available for $2 per person.
- Fulton offers some additional attractions and lodging.
|Routes through Rockport|
|Corpus Christi ← Jct S ←||S N||→ Fulton → Houston|