The city was named for the seven hills around the city, and was land taken from the Treaty of New Echota.
The city played a role in the Civil War and the Atlanta Campaign. This was also a trading place for cotton and other goods. In the 20th Century, it became a carpet/textile city.
- Chieftain's Museum, the home of Major Ridge
- The City Tower, formally a water tower, now a clock.
- Berry College -the world's largest college campus, visit the waterwheel, Possum Trot, Martha Berry museum.
- Rome Symphony Orchestra
- Rome Braves, A Baseball Affiliates of the Atlanta Braves
The DeSoto Theater Located on Broad St., they often have small productions going on, and during the fall, RIFF (Rome International Film Festival)
- Mel & Mimi's.
- Blue Sky Outfitters.
- Elysium Inc Sterling Silver Jewelry.
- Harvest Moon Cafe, Broad Street. American burger resturant.
- Blue Fin. Japanese based noodles and sushi.
- Schroeder's, Broad Street.
- The Moon Roof at Harvest Moon. Outdoor, heated environment, live music on the weekends.
- 400 Block Bar Also on Broad St., more upscale, attached to La Scala Italian Ristorante
- Old Havana This too, on Broad, they sell cigars, beer, and wine. On Thursdays they have live jazz musicians come in.