Roses is a city of 19,000 people (2018) on the Costa Brava, in Catalonia. It is on the coast at the northern end of the Gulf of Roses, and is an important fishing port and tourist centre.
It is the site of the former bishopric of Rotdon, now a Latin Catholic titular see.
Over the last decades, important excavations have been carried out inside the walls of the Ciutadella concerning not only the Greek and Roman remains, but part of the medieval city and its walls. In the 1990s, extensive restoration work was carried out on the walls of the Ciutadella, and in 2004 a museum was opened inside it. A controversial restoration of the Castell de Trinitat was completed in 2010.
- Tourist information (in Catalan)
The C-260 road links the town with Figueres.
- 1 Empuriabrava Aerodrome. Airfield in the nearby town of Empuriabrava.
- 1 Castrum o Ciudadela visigoda del Puig Rom.
- 2 Castell de la Trinitat (2.5 km from Roses). Along with the Ciutadella de Roses, it provided defenses for the town of Roses. The castle was completed in 1551 It was defended for twelve days by Royal Navy sailors and marines under the command of Captain Thomas, Lord Cochrane, supported by Catalan militia and regulars in 1808 and the damage inflicted by the besieging French and Italian artillery was compounded by an immense explosion of gunpowder barrels from Cochrane's frigate HMS Imperieuse, laid by him to deny the investing French control of the sea approaches to the Bay of Rosas. It was built in the shape of a five-pointed star for defence purposes. The construction is about 18–20 metres high, with thick walls, and designed to house a garrison of about 350 men.
- 3 Castell de la Garriga.
- 4 Castell de Bufalaranya.
- 5 Stella Maris.
- 6 Santa Maria Church (Església de Santa Maria de Roses).
- 7 Citadel (Ciutadella de Roses). Large fortifications in the centre of the city.
- 8 Llit de la Generala.
- 9 Ciste de la Casa Cremada.
- 10 Casa Cremada menhir (Menhire de la Casa Cremada).
- 11 Dolmen del Cap de l’Home.
- 12 Dolmen de la Creu d'en Cobertella.
- Kart racing, buggy
- Waterpark "Aquabrava"
- 1 Beach of Canyelles. 24/7. Nice beach for bathing or beach volleyball. Free.
- 1 Restaurant Nou Aquarium, Avinguda de la Platja, 21 (very close to the beach in Santa Margarita), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mediterranean cuisine specializing in fresh fish and seafood collected directly in the Bay of Roses.