During the Japanese colonial period, the Ruifang area was important for its coal and gold mines.
Ruifang is also the site of the popular hillside town of Jiufen which is discussed in more detail in its own article.
The district is connected to the TRA network via 4 stations:
- 1 Ruifang (瑞芳車站), 82 Sec 3 Mingdeng Rd. The primary rail station for the area. The station itself was first opened in 1915.
- 2 Houtong (猴硐車站). The station sits atop what was once the largest coal mine in Taiwan.
- 3 Sijiaoting (四腳亭車站).
- 4 Sandiaoling (三貂嶺車站). The station is the only station in Taiwan not connected to a public road.
Ruifang is accessible via the * Provincial Highway 62 (台62線). which connects it to Keelung.
- 1 Remains of the 13 Levels (十三層遺址). The building used to be a copper and gold smelter plant called the Shuinandong Smelter that used to process refined ore from Jinguashi and Jiufen. The facility was shut down after the minerals in the area were exhausted.
- 2 Taiyang Gold Mine Office (台陽礦業事務所). The former office of the Taiyang Mining Company, the building has since been repurposed to give visitors an insight into the gold mining industry of the past.
- 3 Sijiaoting Fort (四腳亭砲台). The ruins of an old fort near the border with Keelung.
- 4 Bitoujiao Lighthouse (鼻頭角燈塔). The lighthouse was built by the Japanese in 1897.
- 5 Houtong Cat Village (猴硐貓村). Formerly a prosperous coal-mining town, the village was on the verge of disappearing until some local residents started a project to care for local stray cats which gained much attention throughout Taiwan, making the settlement famous for its large cat population.
- 6 Jinguashi (金瓜石). A small village which is near the Gold Ecological Park and the Jinguashi Mine, which is one of the largest gold mines in the world. The area was previously used by the Japanese as an internment camp.
- 7 Jinguashi Shrine (金瓜石神社遺址). A small shrine atop a hill. There are quite a few steps to get to the top.
- 8 New Taipei City Gold Museum (新北市立黃金博物館). Formerly known as the Gold Ecological Park, the site is an open-air museum consisting of a number of buildings and facilities to document the history of the gold mining industry in Taiwan. The museum is accessible by bus from Ruifang Station.
Parks and natureEdit
- 11 Golden Waterfall (黃金瀑布). A stepped series of waterfalls known for its unique golden-brown colour. The water of the waterfall contains high level of toxins due to its proximity to the nearby gold mining area.
- 12 Shen'ao Elephant Trunk Rock (深澳岬角象鼻岩), ☏ . A rocky outcropping near the sea that resembles an elephant's trunk.
- 13 Nanya Rock (南雅奇石), ☏ . A rockpool area with a variety of fish species and interesting coloured rock formations.
- 1 Shen'ao Fishing Port (深澳漁港). A fishing port with views of both Jinguashi and Jiufen. The area is popular for its seafood restaurants, as well as its views.
Arts and cultureEdit
- 2 Shengping Theater (昇平戲院). The original theatre on this site was constructed in 1916, and the current building was completed in 1961. The theatre has frequent showings of films, traditional opera performances, among others.