Rukatunturi's highest point is 492 meters. The longest run in the mountain is 1,300 meters. In winter Ruka is the place to be for people who love winter sports. In summer time Ruka welcomes people to enjoy the beautiful nature, for example as a base for hiking the Karhunkierros trail or shorter hikes in the Ruka area.
Ruka is part of the Kuusamo municipality, with the centre Kuusamo some 23 km to the south.
The best way to get to Ruka is to fly to Kuusamo and take the airport bus to Ruka. If you travel by train from southern Finland, the nearest train stations are in Oulu, Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi; also Kajaani may be an option. From there, take a bus to Kuusamo. You can bring your car on some of the trains. Driving from destinations in southern Finland will take around 10 hours.
The new Ruka Pedestrian Village was finished in November 2010. You can now walk to the slopes from the hotels without any crossings. Also Talvijärvi is close to the slopes. Accommodations can be some 5 km away, more suitable for those coming for cross-country skiing or other activities.
The views of Valtavaara are well-known. Also the views from Juhannuskallio and from Konttainen are very nice. You can also enjoy the views from Rukatunturi. In Juhannuskallio there are also caves, the biggest known as Pirunkirkko ("Devil's church").
- Fell Konttainen. 407 meters, about half a kilometre from Karhunkierros Trail
- Fell Pyhävaara. 461 meters, you need a special license to get there.
- Fell Rukatunturi. 500 meters, Karhunkierros Trail starts from here.
- Fell Valtavaara. 491 meters, Surmankuru gorge (40 meters) is located here, on the north side.
In winter the ski resort offers is the main things to do in Ruka. There is also a large cross-country skiing route network (90 km). In summer the beautiful nature provides a lot to do, e.g. visiting Valtavaara-Pyhävaara Nature Reserve.
- Observe and photograph Aurora borealis during long winter nights.
- Downhill snowsports and cross country skiing
- Ski pass sales, Rukakyläntie 8, ☏ . The place to buy ski passes for the Ruka slopes. From single run adults €5 to 5–7 days adults €150.
- Piste Rental Shop (PisteVuokraamo), Rukakylätie 17, ☏ . Children´s equipment, alpine skiing, carving, snowboarding, telemarking, cross country skiing, helmets, goggles; Halti outdoor wear.
- VuosselinPortti Rental Shop (VuosselinPortti Vuokraamo), Jussinkuja 5, ☏ . The Rental Shop of Eastern Ruka.
- Ski School Ruka, Rukakyläntie 17, ☏ . 10:00–16:00. Private lessons and lessons for groups. Alpine, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, telemark and adaptive skiing. Private lessons €32–92.
- Saarua–Valtavaara–Saarua skiing trail. 10 km demanding classic and freestyle cross country skiing trail. No lights. Campfire shelter at Valtavaara. Connects to other cross-country skiing trails in the area. Free.
- 1 Karhunkierros, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Summer and autumn. Legendary 80 km hiking trail to and through Oulanka National Park. The other end of the trail is at Karhunkierros visitor centre in Hautajärvi or e.g. at Kuntakkivaara. Being popular and well maintained the trail is suited also for less experienced hikers, but map and basic survival skills are needed and the terrain is hilly. The suspension bridges are not suited for dogs. There are eight open wilderness huts along the trail, free but often crowded in season (and due to the popularity of the trail, latecomers' rights are not always respected). In summer basic food can be bought each other day with normal speed. It is recommended that water be had at service points or treated (boiled) before drinking. There is an ultra running competition along the trail (83 km) yearly in May (winner times: men 8:20, women 10:30). There are also shorter versions of Karhunkierros, 18–31 km. From Hautajärvi the UKK trail continues 260 km via the Sallatunturi area, Tuntsa Wilderness Area and Tulppio all the way to Urho Kekkonen National Park. Free.
- Valtavaara-Pyhävaara Nature Reserve. Versatile area with barren cliff, spruce forests and marshy depressions, mostly higher than the surroundings, with Valtavaara reaching 492 m. The local mix of northern and southern species is unique in Finland and the area is popular among birdwatchers. Staying on the trails is recommended, both for safety and to protect threatened plant species. Picking berries and edible mushrooms is allowed. Camping and campfires allowed only at designated sites, the latter not during wildfire warning periods and always only with due care. Taking samples or damaging flora, fauna or rocks is forbidden as usual in nature reserves. Fishing is restricted. Horseback and bike riding is allowed at certain routes. Free.
- Juhannuskallio Trail (Juhannuskalliontie road in the east end of Ruka, marked with poles with green paint). 300 m trail to the top of Juhannuskallio.
- Valtavaaran huiputus. Circle trail to the top of Valtavaara (along the Karhunkieros trail) and back to Ruka.
- Trail of the red-flanked bluetail (Sinipyrstön pyrähys) (starts at Konttainen parking area, marked with blue paint). 1.5 km trail around the lake Konttaisjärvi through old spruce forest, at the foot of Konttainen. This is one of the places west of Ural where you can get to see the bird that gave name to the trail, popular among British birdwatchers. It sings in June, which makes it easier to spot. The trail can be combined with a stretch of Karhunkierros to the Suolampi shelter or with a climb of Konttainen.
- Pyhän jyssäys (from the crossroads of Plantingintie road and Petäjäkuja 1). 6 km trail to the top of Pikku-Pyhävaara, where there is a hut and a campfire site.
- Kuusamo Safaris, Kotatie 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tailor made activities for families and small groups. For example: snowmobile-, husky-, ice-fishing-, reideer sleigh-, snowshoe trekking and cross-country skiing safaris, canoeing, cycling, white water rafting and rowing trips.
- Rukapalvelu Ltd, Rukakyläntie 13, ☏ . 09:00–17:00 (Sun 10:0–17:00). Tailor made events and adventures. Also weekly programs available.
- Ruka Safaris, Rukarinteentie 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00–17:00 (Sat–Sun closed). Tours and other programme; accommodation, including a winter village built of snow.
- Ruka Adventures, Rukanriutta 7, ☏ . 09:00–16:00. All kinds of adventures for groups. For example ice carting, snowmobile safaris, river rafting, quadbike safaris etc.
- Stella Polaris Adventures, Mestantie 1, ☏ . 09:00–21:00. Wilderness safaris with high quality services. Private safari company, DMC.
- Northernlight Safaries, Rukatunturintie 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Speed safaris and overnight safaris. You can experience the real winter in the wilderness with professional safari guides.
- Wilderness Wolf Nature Safaris, Rukajärventie 30, ☏ . Husky farm with over 200 sledge dogs. Prices start from €36/2 km/person..
- Rukahuolto Oy (Rukabuses), Riutanpää 1 (Next to Neste Oil station), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00-17:00. Snowmobile short term rental and day trips. All snowmobiles are Polaris IQ LXT 550 (2 seater) 1h -60€, 2h -70€, 3h -85€, 4h -100€. Prices include equipment (overalls, shoes, gloves, balaclava, helmet), insurance (own risk 650€), and a route map. Price doesn't include gasoline.
- K-Market Ruka, Rukanriutta 3, ☏ . 8-21. Groceries store in Ruka.
- S-Market Ruka, Rukanriutta 7, ☏ . 8-21, Sat 8-18, Sun 12-18. Another groceries store in Ruka.
- K-Market Rukankylä, Rukankyläntie 8. 10-18. A small groceries store on in the Ruka Pedestrian Village.
- Shopping Center Kumpare (Kauppakeskus Kumpare), Rukakyläntie 8, ☏ . 9.30-19. Here you can find the Ruka info, Internet terminals, WLAN, groceries store, Alko (liquor store), souvenir shops, gym, child park etc.
- RukaStore, Rukatunturintie 13, ☏ . 10-19. Here you can find high-quality equipment and clothing for winter sports.
- Riipisen Wild Game and Souvenir Shop, Rukakyläntie 8, ☏ . 10-17. This is the place to buy your game souvenirs.
- Alphut Swiss Restaurant, Rukatunturintie 11 (Ruka village), ☏ . Alpine food and drinks. At lunch time the soup of the day.
- Colorado Mts. Bar & Grill, Rukakyläntie 6 (Ruka village), ☏ . 14-22. Live music, delicious food, sports, drinks etc. From the menu you can choose also quite spicy foods. about €7–27.
- Restaurant Peak, Rukakyläntie 11 (right on the top of Rukatunturi), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. in season (2019–2020: 8 Nov–26 Apr) daily 17:00–23:00. Finnish cuisine and quality wines.
- Restaurant Piste (Ravintola Piste), Rukakyläntie 17 (Ruka village), ☏ . 12-22. Lunch at noon, party at nights. €5–29.
- Riipinen Wild Game Restaurant, Rukatunturintie 6, ☏ . (Mon-Fri) 12-21. Restaurant offers specialities like bear, rabbit and of course reindeer. There's also a separate kids' menu.
- Restaurant Royal Ruka, Mestantie 1, ☏ . Gourmet restaurant with Lapland's Dinner and À la Carte list. Laplan's Dinner €35–39.
- Restaurant Rukahovi, Rukakyläntie 15 (Ruka village), ☏ . Traditional restaurant in the middle of Ruka. Live music and great views.
- Restaurant Kaltiokivi & KarhuBar, Rukakyläntie 15, ☏ . 14-22.30. Relaxing and cosy restaurant. Beautiful fireplace in KarhuBar. €12–33.
- Restaurant Rukatonttu, Hiihtostadioinintie 1, ☏ . Cozy restaurant with views to the lake Talvijärvi.
- Restaurant Vanha Karhu, Rukantunturintie 1 (Ruka village), ☏ . 16-22 (mon-thu), 16-23 (fri-sat). Gourmet restaurant. Offers local cuisine.
- Classic Pizza Ruka, Rukatunturintie 11, ☏ . Peaceful dining and good service. There are pizzas, salads, wines and other drinks on the menu.
- Pizzeria Ruka, Kelorinne, ☏ . 11-23. Pizzeria offers speacial pizzas like salmon and reindeer.
- Tellu Night & Ski Pub Karaoke, Rukakyläntie 15, ☏ . Over 2500 songs to choose from! Also DJ and music from 80s, 90s, today's hits and Finnhits.
- Restaurant Zone (Ravintola Zone), Safaritalo, ☏ . 12-04. After safari parties until the morning, karaoke and a big glassed terrace. Lots of different kinds of events. 9-11 euros.
There are many commercial lodgings: hotel rooms, apartments and cabins. In the Valtavaara Nature reserve and along the Karhunkierros trail there are lean-to shelters and campfire sites where you can camp overnight for free (and also open wilderness huts farther along Karhunkierros).
- Rukakeskus Oy (RukaPyhä Ski-Inn), Rukatunturintie 9, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ski-Inn RukaSuites, Rukakyläntie 8, ☏ . Check-in: 18:00, check-out: 15:00. RukaSuites apartments are located in the village of Ruka. They are in walking distance from the slopes. Apartments are made specially for skiers.
- Ski-Inn Aurinkorinne, Hiihtokouluntie 16–18, ☏ . Check-in: 18:00, check-out: 15:00. Apartments are located 400 meters from RukaVillage. The nearest slope Talvijärvi is right next to the apartments. from 65 euros per night in the summer to 620 euros per week in the winter.
- Ski-Inn Hotel RukaVillage, Rukakyläntie 6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Especially for skiing travellers. Each room has cooking facilities.
- MastonAitio Cabins, Rinnekyläntie 3, ☏ . Cabins are great for active families. Kids ski area and a rope tow lift is located near the cabins. For example winter weeks from 565 euros.
- Chalet Ruka Peak, Juhannuskalliontie 27A, ☏ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. A boutique hotel on the top of Ruka Fell. Every room has large windows and the views are beautiful. Some rooms have a private jacuzzi.
- 1 Villa Valtava, Pihlajalammentie 2D, 93830 Rukatunturi (close to Konttainen and Valtavaara hills, 10km from the main resort), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. Modern villa with outdoor Jacuzzi, 110m², 3 bedrooms, 8+2 people
- RukaTonttu, Hiihtostadionintie 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hotel is located right next to hiking trails, ski-tracks and slopes. There is direct access to Talvijärvi lake for those who like swimming. Also restaurant, sauna, equipment rental and programme services. Apartments available also in the village and at lake Vuosseli 5 km from the slopes but close to skiing and snowmobiling tracks. €68–150.
- Hotel Royal Ruka, Mestantie 1. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. This is the luxury five star hotel in Ruka area. You can also arrange conferences in the hotel (max. 65 persons). €125–190/night.
- Rukan Salonki, Kemijärventie 235, ☏ . High quality chalets by lake Salonkijärvi, 2 km from Ruka.
- Matkailumaja Heikkala, Talvijärventie 10, ☏ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. 14 cottages and 7 rooms next to the lake Talvijärvi. Kids can walk straight to the slopes of Ruka. from 35 euros to 180 euros per night.
- Rukajärven Lomamajat, Rukajärventie 60, ☏ . Different sizes cottages and three villas by the Lake Vuosseljärvi near Ruka. from 95 to 250 euros.
- 2 Ruka Golden Cottage, Pilkkikuja 1–3, ☏ . 250 m² chalet, accommodating up to 10 people. Beautiful views toward Ruka ski slopes. From 400 to 600 euros per night.
- Hotel Rantasipi Rukahovi, Rukakyläntie 15, ☏ . The hotel is located in the middle of Ruka ski resort. Hotel has twin rooms, superior panorama rooms, suites, one room for disabled and apartments for 3–6 persons.
Postal code: 93830 Rukatunturi or 93825 Rukatunturi, the latter a special code used by most businesses in the village.