São Miguel das Missões in a city in the southern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul. It hosts the remains of one of the Jesuit Missions of the Guarani that are listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site
São Miguel is 485km far from Porto Alegre.
Comfortable and air-conditioned executive coaches are available from Porto Alegre and many other cities throughout Rio Grande do Sul state to cities near São Miguel das Missões. Buses generally stop at the bus station in Santo Ângelo on the "Viação Ouro e Prata" busline. Schedule from Porto Alegre is found on the Porto Alegre Rodoviária (bus station) site  and the Viação Ouro e Prata site .
Buses to São Miguel das Missões are available in the Santo Ângelo bus station.
BR-116 North (Porto Alegre to Canoas) BR-386 Northwest (Canoas to Tio Hugo) RS-223/BR-377 West (Tio Hugo to Cruz Alta) RS-342 (Cruz Alta to Ijuí) BR-285/RS-342 (Ijuí to São Miguel das Missões)
Come prepared to understand the language of the road in Brazil. Passing, tailgating, speeding and signaling that you may do one of these things may be confusing to first time drivers.
- 1 São Miguel Arcanjo archeological site, R. São Nicolau, ☏ . Its centerpiece is the Church of St. Michael the Archangel, built in Baroque style, designed by Italian architect Gian Batista Primolli, begun in 1735 and took 10 years to complete, composed of three naves separated by two large archways and five altars with images of saints, coverage was clay tiles supported by wooden beams and, in front, a portico with arches and columns that displayed statues of the 12 apostles. The sandstone blocks were brought from a distance of 20 km. The tower, 25 meters tall, wore a tin rooster and five golden bells. Other highlights include a massive Missionary Cross, built from a single block of stone sandstone, and a 1-ton remaining bell. R$ 5, students pay half.
- Missions Museum. Designed in 1940 by Lúcio Costa. Inspired by the dwellings of the missionaries. Its veranda is roofed with clay tiles. The museum contains a rich collection of about a hundred sculptures of rare beauty, of sizes ranging from 15 cm to 2.20 m, collected by John Hugo Machado between 1939 and 1940.
- The Light and Show Spectacular (Espectáculo de Som e Luz) occurs at dusk and explains the history of the Jesuits, Guarani indians and the Portuguese and Spanish empires in this territory. You can also enjoy the blue starry nights in this remote region of the pampas during the presentation. You may even need a light jacket in the summertime to stay comfortable (remember that summer is from December to February in the southern hemisphere). Shows start for November, December and January: 9:30pm. Show start for February, March, April, August, September and October: 8:00pm. Show start for May, June and July: 7:00pm (wear a coat). Cost: R$5.00, R$2.50 with any domestic or international student ID, R$2.50 for seniors over 60 years of age. Purchase tickets at the archeological site entrance.
- Restaurante , Peixaria e Lancheria - Meu Cantinho, Rua São Nicolau, 824 (by the Archeological Site's parking lot), ☏ , .
- Aldeia Grill, Av. Antunes Ribas, 1771, ☏ , .
- Restaurante O Guarani, Rua Borges do Canto, 1926, ☏ .
- Restaurante e Pizzaria Casarão, Av. Borges do Canto, 1244, ☏ .
- Tenondé Park Hotel, Rua São Miguel, 664 - Centro (This hotel is located about 4 blocks north of the archeological site on a very open and grassy property), ☏ . This is the poshest hotel in the city; however, a room of equivalent luxury may run much cheaper in Porto Alegre. It's remote location makes common luxury in the capital city much more expensive here. From R$156.00 for a single room up to R$378.00 for a suite.
- Pousada das Missões, Rua Des. André da Rocha 225 (This hotel/hostel is located adjacent to the archeological site on its west side), ☏ . Rustic, but very charming and right next door to the archeological site. Your best bet in São Miguel das Missões. Single R$85. Free breakfast. Private rooms and hostel available. Air-conditioned rooms or rooms with fans available..
- Hotel Barrichello, Avenida Borges do Canto, 1555, ☏ . Slightly smaller rooms, but very clean and new. Rooms are generally cheaper than the other two hotels.