Söderhamn is a town in Hälsingland, and the seat of Söderhamn Municipality.
Arriving by train is quite easy, Stockholm is about 2½ hours away with SJ high-speed trains that continue all the way north to Umeå via Sundsvall. Slower, regional trains connects with smaller nearby cities. Regional buses are run by X-trafik and there are routes from nearby regional centers as well as smaller towns.
- 1 Söderhamn railway station (Söderhamns järnvägsstation) (1 km west of the city centre). Major station where both local and long distance trains stops.
- 2 Ljusne railway station. Only local trains stop here.
- 3 Holmsveden railway station. Only local trains stop here.
X-trafik runs three bus routes within Söderhamn itself and there's often hourly departures to and from most larger towns within the municipality. The city centre is small enough for a walk, but for other destinations a car might be needed.
- Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland (Hälsingegårdar). Some of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland are in Söderhamn. The farmhouses showcases Swedish traditional architecture and they are often decorated with some paintings dating back to the 15th century. There are 41 farmhouses that are open for visitors, with seven of them being especially noteworthy.
- 1 Erik-Anders, Asta 726, ☏ +46 270-287941. Open on weekends during low seasons and daily during summer. One of four visitors centers for the heritage site. Guided tours in English available if you call in advance. Also offers lodging.
- 2 Söderhamn Aviation Museum. Displays the heritage of a closed-down air force base.
- 3 [dead link] Söderhamns stadsmuseum, Oxtorgsgatan 5. Open Noon-5PM, Wednesday Sunday during summer. By appointment during the rest of the year. Small municipal museum dedicated to Söderhamn’s history, from a military outpost with a large arsenal to a manufacturing hub during the industrial era.
- 4 Ulrika Eleonora church (Ulrika Eleonora kyrka). Historic church dating back to 1692.
- 5 Prästgrundet chapel (Prästgrundets kapell). Built in 1830 as part of a series of chapels built for fishermen along the coast.
- 6 Trönö old church (Trönö gamla kyrka). A well-preserved medieval church, with many sections dating back to the 13th century.
- 7 Skog church ruin (Skogs kyrkoruin). Ruins of a Medieval church built in 1320-1324.
- 8 Fejan Stone (Fejanstenen). Small memorial dedicated to one of the many labor conflicts which occurred in Söderhamn during the first half of the 20th century.
- 1 Stenö camping, Stenövägen 130. Popular camping site
- 2 Söderhamns Golf Club (Söderhamns Golfklubb), 835 Sofieholm.
- 3 Storjungfrun. The largest island in Söderhamn's archipelago. The whole island is a nature reserve with lots of opportunities for hiking and bathing.
Flea markets and antique shops are very common, often in rural settings.
- 1 Variant Loppis, Bäckforsvägen 11. One of the largest flea markets in Hälsingland.
Söderhamn has a surprising variety of restaurants for its limited population, mainly thanks to a large influx of tourists during the summer season.
- 1 Kanonholmen Seafood, Vadtorp 451. Excellent selection of locally caught fish as well as shellfish from both the east and west coast of Sweden. Doubles as both a store and restaurant.
- 2 Me and McGee's, Oxtorgsgatan 14, ☏ +46 270-16090.
- 3 Månses Trädgårdscafé, Fredsgatan 13, ☏ +46 270-14900. Design shop and restaurant with great outdoor seating.
- 4 Restaurang Albertina, Skärså 443. Located in the idyllic fishing village of Skärså, this summer-only restaurant serves a wide variety of seafood.
- 5 Rådis, Kyrkogatan 10. Authentic 1930s café setting.
- 6 Hunker Junker, Norra Hamngatan 22 (North side of the inner harbour). Seasonal restaurant serves excellent drinks and has a rotating menu of gourmet street food.
- 7 Bolivar Beach Bar, Sjötullgatan 26 (South side of the inner harbour).
- 1 Best Western Hotell SöderH, Montörsbacken 4, ☏ +46 270-26 62 00.
- 2 First Hotel Statt Söderhamn, Oxtorgsgatan 17, ☏ +46 270-13524, fax: +46 270-13524, firstname.lastname@example.org. Largest hotel in town, centrally located. From 600 kr/night.
- 3 Prästgården Hotell & Restaurang, Prästgårdsgatan 3, ☏ +46 733303418. A smaller hotel with onsite restaurant in the town's former vicarage.
|Routes through Söderhamn|
|Sundsvall ← Hudiksvall ←||N S||→ Gävle → Stockholm|