Sındırgı is a town near the southern boundary of Southern Marmara Region in Turkey. It has geothermal hot springs but is best known for its traditional rugs.
Sındırgı was on an old route towards Izmir, the last village before the road hairpinned over the ridge to enter Manisa province. It traditionally made carpets but only grew from 1854, when spa waters became fashionable. There are sources 5 km southeast at Ilica, but the main source and tourist development is 10 km east at Hisaralan. In 2012 the town population was 12,949, with double that in the surrounding villages.
The town used to be known as "Koruköy" or "Carseae". It is not known where the name "Sındırgı" came from.
Get in Edit
For inter-city routes, first travel to Balıkesir 63 km north. It has buses from Istanbul heading to Izmir. A bus runs hourly from Balıkesir via Bigadiç to Sındırgı, for a fare in 2022 of 30 TL.
1 Otobüs Terminali is downtown, off Yunus Emre Cd.
By road from Istanbul or Ankara follow O-5 towards Izmir, leaving at Balıkesir for D555.
Get around Edit
You need your own wheels to get around the thermal areas.
- 1 Emendere Thermal Spring and Emen Termal Hotel got dismal reviews in 2021 / 22, the water was cold and grubby.
- 2 Hisaralan Thermal Spring is further out but has better facilities, see Sleep.
- Oil-wrestling (yağlı güreş): Sındırgı is one of many Turkish towns that practise this. The national finals are in Edirne in June ane July.
- Yağcıbedir Festival promotes the town's carpets. It's held in September.
- Şok Market at the foot of town is the main store.
- Local specialities are kolonya (eau de cologne) and Yağcı Bedir rugs and carpets.
- Along Balıkesir Cd into town find Üç Yıldız Pide Salonu and Erenler Lokanta ve Kasap.
- Along Akhisar Cd west find Lezzeti Adıyaman Çiğköfte, Can Börek, Yağcıbedir Pide and Tetik Izgara.
- The town bars remained closed 2022, so either head for the cafes or buy from the supermarket.
As of April 2022, Sındırgı has 4G from Turkcell and Vodafone, but no signal from Türk Telekom. 5G has not rolled out in Turkey.
Go next Edit
- Balıkesir is a transport hub but has several old mosques.
- Izmir is a large modern city but with many visitor facilities.
- Bursa is modern but as the Ottoman's first city has many historic sights.
|Routes through Sındırgı|
|Bergama ← Akhisar ←||W E||→ Çavdarhisar → Kütahya|