Sackets Harbor is a village of 1450 people on Lake Ontario in Northern New York. It was a naval base which withstood two Canadian attacks in battles during the War of 1812; its arch-nemesis is the British fortification at Kingston in Upper Canada.
As this is a small village, less than a mile from the core to the edge of town, it is possible to tour on foot or bicycle.
Sackets has a variety of historic sights and museums relating to the war of 1812. Madison Barracks was an active military base until just after World War II, and many of the buildings have recently been restored. As a stop along the Seaway Trail there is a local visitors center, and interactive museum.
- Sackets Harbor Battlefield State Historic Site, 504 W. Main St., ☏ , fax: . Battlefield with restored 1850s Navy Yard and Commandant's House, exhibits, guided and self-guided tours. In season, soldiers in period uniform re-enact military camp life.
- Augustus Sacket Mansion, 301 W. Main St.. 1801 mansion built by the village's founder. Visitor information, souvenir shop, building tours available.
- [dead link] Pickering Cottage and Pickering-Beach House, ☏ . Historical museum depicting life in Sackets Harbor in the mid-19th century.
- [dead link] Seaway Trail Discovery Center, 401 W Main St, ☏ . 10AM-5PM, seasonal. Interactive exhibits in former Union Hotel (c. 1817) cover maritime and military history, lighthouses, natural history and agriculture. $4/person.
There are several beaches, museums, shops, and a golf course. Seasonal festivals and events include a brew fest and the Can-Am festival. Fishing is popular both on the lake and Mill Creek with several tournaments annually.
- Main Street in Sackets Harbor is a protected historic district with several independent boutiques, art galleries and museums as well as restaurants and bars.
- The Boathouse, 214 Main St (on waterfront, behind Hops Spot), ☏ . Seasonal restaurant and bar in former boathouse. Wings, seafood, waterfront patio, live entertainment.
- Chrissy Beanz Bakery, 105 W Main St, ☏ .
- Goodfellos, 202 W Main St, ☏ . Open to midnight. Italian restaurant, pizza, wine bar.
- Sackets Harbor Anchor, 210 W Main Street, ☏ . Sandwiches, pizza, pasta, calzones, salads, subs and wings.
- Tin Pan Galley, 110 W. Main St., ☏ , fax: . Outdoor garden patio, breakfast, late night live music.
Sackets has several charming Bed and Breakfasts and The Ontario Place Hotel downtown. Another smaller hotel is located outside of town on Route 3 next to the Nu Peir diner.
Hotels and innsEdit
- Madison Barracks / Marina Inn, 121 Pike Rd., ☏ . 1815 military barracks, 30 stone buildings on 115 acres of waterfront. Most are local housing, but the site does offer a marina and the 18-room Marina Inn & Suites.
- Ontario Place Hotel, 103 General Smith Dr., ☏ , toll-free: . 38-room non-smoking hotel, morning coffee bar, coin laundry, souvenir shop, fireplace whirlpool suites available.
Bed and breakfastEdit
- Candlelight Bed and Breakfast, 501 W. Washington St., ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Georgian-style historic B&B near Lake Ontario, three rooms, wi-fi, open year round, no smoking, no pets, no kids under 12. $89-135.
- [dead link] Sackets Harbor House, 402 General Smith Dr., ☏ . Historic 1818 bed-and breakfast inn.
- Bedford Creek Marina and Campground, 16750 Allen Dr., ☏ . Camping, kayak rental. $31-34.
- Hay Memorial Library, 105 S. Broad St., ☏ . M-W F noon-5PM, Th 10AM-3PM, Sa 9AM-noon, closed Su. Local library with three public-access computers, wi-fi hotspot, photocopy and fax, preschool storytime.
- The US Post Office is at 107 W Main St NY 13685-9998 (M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon, closed Su), phone +1 315 646-2100.
|Routes through Sackets Harbor|
|Sterling ← Pulaski ←||S E||→ Watertown → Plattsburgh|