San Jose del Cabo is a city in Los Cabos.
1 Los Cabos International Airport (SJD IATA), Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 43.5, S Jose del Cabo (located about 16 km (9.9 mi) north from downtown San Jose del Cabo and 44 km (27 mi) north of Cabos San Lucas/Los Cabos along Hwy 1D/1 which bypasses San Jose del Cabo.). It is the main airport serving the cities of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo served by the following airlines:
- Terminal 1: Aeromexico/Aeromexico Connect;, Interjet, Calafia, Magnicharters, VivaAerobus, United and Volaris. The following carriers only come seasonally: Air Canada and Sun Country. The original Terminal 1 is mainly for domestic and some international flights.
- Terminal 2: Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta, Southwest, TUI and Westjet. The following carriers only come seasonally: Frontier, Sunwing, Spirit and Swoop. Even the carriers that come regularly, year round, (listed in the former) offer seasonal flights from more cities in the U.S., Canada and Mexico than they do during the other times of the year. The newer Terminal 2 serves as a new international terminal.
You can reach the airport via a toll road, or via the very busy (lots of traffic and stop lights) Transpeninsular Hwy (Highway 1). For those not planning to rent a car, the shared ride colectivos (shuttles) and taxis are the only thing available for transport into town. Click here for a list of companies offering shuttle and taxi services into town.
- 2 Autotransportes Aguila, Calle Valerio González 1, Col 1ro de May (Just east from Transpeninsular Hwy, across the street from Walmart.), ☏ . Tickets sold in advance, but reservation is not required. They offer frequent service to Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Todos Santos, Loreto and other nearby cities.
All major car rental agencies have offices both at the airport and in San Jose del Cabo. Several local agencies also serve the airport. At the airport, agencies offer shuttle service to their off-site rental offices.
- [dead link] Economy/Cactus car rental (After arranging the rental, you will catch a shuttle at the exit of the airport after passing a ton of salespeople and taxi drivers), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Trustworthy and reliable, get in contact with Antonio Miranda (email@example.com) for a quote. They accept credit cards, and what they tell you they charge they actually charge, no funny business. All insurance and rental fees are included in the price they quote. If you return the car in the same shape you rented it and with the same amount of gas, you won't have any problems. No limits on kilometers traveled. If you have an early flight, you can just leave the car in the airport parking lot with the key and ~ US$10 to cover the parking fee. Very easy to deal with. Example: ~ 2010 VW Jetta for 8 days was US$230, no extra charges or fees, everything included.
Public transportation (buses) around San Jose del Cabo connects downtown with points north and west. Service is not frequent (about once every 20-30 minutes). Bus lines are represented by the color of the bus (for example, "white" line, "yellow" line).
Local buses also run between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, with service every 20-30 minutes, taking about 30-45 minutes to travel between these cities using Transpeninsular Hwy (Highway 1). Buses stop at most major attractions and beaches along the highway. Pay the driver when you get on the bus. Service stops around 11pm.
Most major attractions are within walking distance of downtown San Jose del Cabo.
- Plaza Central (Main square). The main public plaza in downtown San Jose del Cabo. Events such as music and dancing take place during the week, especially on Saturday and Sunday nights. Numerous stores and restaurants face the plaza.
- Catedral de San Jose (Saint Joseph's Cathedral). Located at the west end of the Plaza Central, it is the main (Catholic) church in San Jose del Cabo.
- Boulevard Antonio Mijares. Many stores, restaurants and bars can be found along this street, arguably the liveliest one in peaceful San Jose del Cabo.
- Estero San Jose. A beautiful marsh with walking trails, located just east of downtown.
The road connecting San Jose del Cabo and Cabo Pulmo along the east road cape (unpaved) has some beautiful views and beaches with nice surfing spots. It's possible to take a day trip or even spend a few nights on the road exploring a different side of Cabo far from the touristy resorts. (Note: If you drive a rental car, make sure you are allowed to drive on this unpaved road. Some agencies void insurance coverage while driving on this road.)
Several beautiful beaches can be easily reached by car or by public transportation. Worth noting are the nearby beaches of "Punta Palmilla" and "El Chileno", both located west of town. "El Chileno", located in Chileno Bay about 15 miles west of San Jose del Cabo, was awarded a "Blue Flag" certificate for its excellent water quality. "El Chileno" beach is extremely well maintained, has on-site facilities (restrooms, showers, trash bins) and unpaved parking with security. The beach is open from 7am to 7pm in the summer.
Many restaurants are located in or near downtown San Jose del Cabo.
- El Toro Güero (Mariscos El Toro Güero), Corner of Avenida Centenario and Calle Idelfonso Green (Four blocks west of Plaza Central in downtown San Jose del Cabo.). Packed by locals for afternoon "comida", serves a variety of seafood dishes such as "ceviche", "tacos", "molcajetes", "filetes" at fair prices. "Aguas frescas" are outstanding, but service can be slow during weekday afternoon rush hour. Limited off-street parking is available. Restaurant has two locations, the most convenient for tourists is the location near downtown. 100 pesos and up.
- Las Guacamayas (Taqueria Las Guacamayas), On Paseo de los Marinos near the corner with Paseo del Pescador (About 12 blocks west of Plaza Central in downtown San Jose del Cabo. Follow Calle Manuel Doblado past Transpeninsular Hwy, right on Paseo del Pescador, then left on Paseo de los Marinos.). A bit far away from downtown, but well-worth the trouble. Serves a large variety of mainly beef, pork and chicken "tacos", "quesadillas" and "sopes". "Aguas frescas" are very good. Crowded with locals and tourist alike for evening dinner, offering live music most days. Street parking only. M$100 and up.
- French Bakery de Los Cabos, Esq Hidalgo Col. Centro San Jose del Cabo. Most Parisian-taste baguette that you will ever find in Baja California Sur, not to mention the ice cream and pastries.
- Señor Mañana Posada Hotel (Right next door to Yuca Inn on Obregon). Basic rooms, though more of a party atmosphere than Yuca Inn. A bit cheaper than Yuca Inn.
- Sun Cabo Luxury Villas, Resorts, and Condos, Plaza Paseo Los Cabos, 23406 San José del Cabo, Mexico. A wide array of available villas, condos, and resort rentals available throughout San Jose del Cabo.
- Luna Cabo Luxury Villas & Property Management, Carr. Transpeninsular km 6.5 Plaza Paseo Los Arcos Cabo Bello, 23450 Cabo San Lucas, B.C.S.
|Routes through San José del Cabo|
|La Paz ← Los Barriles ←||N S||→ Cabo San Lucas → END|