Sandown and Shanklin are seaside resort towns on Sandown Bay. The bay, which is off the English Channel, is known for a long stretch of easily accessible golden sandy beach.
Sandown is the site of the island's zoo and the lost Sandown Castle.
Shanklin has the Shanklin Chine.
- Southern Vectis. Two routes run from Newport Bus Station via Godshill, Shanklin, Sandown and Brading to the Ryde Terminus. In summer, an Island Coaster bus covers the entire south shore of the island, while a local double-decker Shanklin Breezer runs half-hourly for most of the day within the town, seaside and Old Village. £10/day.
- 1 Dinosaur Isle, Culver Parade, Sandown, ☏ , fax: . Dinosaur museum
- National Poo Museum, Sandown. Plop-up Poo Museum (Brown’s Golf Course, Sandown) open sporadically, featuring Poo Spheres and other interesting exhibits with staff on hand to chat and answer questions. A permanent facility is planned for 2018.
- 2 Sandown Castle. A device fort built at Sandown by Henry VIII in April-September 1545. A French attack (during construction in July 1545) stalled, but by 1627 coastal erosion had undermined the castle's walls. The ruins were dismantled in 1631 and a new Sandown Fort built further inland. Possible remains of the foundations of the original castle remain visible along the shore at low tide.
- 1 Shanklin Chine. The Isle of Wight's most well-known chine. Take a walk and gape at the lush vegetation. There are also birds including cockatiels and macaws, as well as koi carp. Additionally there is a WWII museum as the US Navy trained here in 1944 before D-Day, the chine is also part of the Pipe Line Under The Ocean (PLUTO) which supplied fuel to Cherbourg in Normandy, France. Tickets (as of 2020 and valid for 7 days): Adult (15-60): £6.95; Child (5–14): £5.30; Infant (0-4): Free; Concessions (OAP, Disabled): £5.95; Mobility Impaired: £3.95; Family A (2 adults + 2 children): £22.00; Family B (2 adults + 3 children): £24.95.
- 2 Isle of Wight Zoo, Yaverland Seafront, Sandown, PO36 8QB, ☏ . Mid-Feb to end of Oct: 10AM-4PM; Apr-Sep: 10AM-5:30PM. A privately-owned sanctuary inside a fort on the coastline of Sandown. Shop, café, play area. No pets, no service dogs. £12.10/person, parking £3.
- 3 Shanklin Theatre, Prospect Road, Shanklin, PO37 6AJ, ☏ . Isle of Wight Dance Festival, Christmas Pantomime, a professional summer season and local amateur dramatics.
- 4 Amazon World Zoo Park, Watery Lane, Nr Arreton, PO36 0LX, ☏ . 10AM-5:30PM. £10.95/adult, £8.95/child.
- 1 Sandown Manor, Yaverland Road, Sandown, ☏ . 16-room bed and breakfast, bath or shower en-suite, outdoor pool, Wi-Fi in common areas.
- 2 Rylstone Manor, Rylstone Gardens, 10 Popham Rd, Shanklin PO37 6RG, ☏ . Welcoming B&B in Victorian house above the village. Open Feb-Oct, no children under 16, assistance dogs only. B&B double £140.
- 3 Haven Hall, 5 Howard Rd, Shanklin PO37 6HD, ☏ . Gorgeous upscale Arts & Crafts hotel open Apr-Oct, no children under 12. B&B double from £420.
|Routes through Sandown and Shanklin|
|Ryde ← Brading ←||N S||→ END|