Saugatuck and Douglas are small adjacent resort towns in West Michigan on the shores of Lake Michigan, and at the mouth of the Kalamazoo River. They are mostly a summer resort area popular with locals and Chicago residents, and have a lively arts scene and many out of the ordinary shops and restaurants. They offer a peculiar mixture of traditional small-town midwestern values and progressive alternative-lifestyle tolerance.
Saugatuck is known to be a popular destination among the midwest's LGBT community
- Saugatuck-Douglas Convention and Visitors Burea, ☏ . The official source for all visitor information on this popular tourist destination.
Saugatuck is off I-196, south of Holland.
- Amazwi Contemporary Art, 249 Culver St, ☏ . Fine art paintings, sculpture & unique crafts from Africa.
- Art 'Round Town, ☏ . An outdoor sculpture exhibit, a walking tour.
- Blue Coast Artists, 6301 122nd Ave, Fennville, ☏ . Six unique working artists studios specializing in many media.
- Bruce Baughman Studio & Gallery, 242 Butler St, ☏ . A contemporary fine art gallery
- James Brandess Studios & Gallery, 238 Butler St, Saugatuck, ☏ . Area landscapes, still-lifes, portraits.
- Czarina's Treasure, 403 Water Street, ☏ . Upscale art glass, jewelry, bronzes, antiques, icons and gifts.
- Discovery Art Center, 347 Water St, ☏ . A nationally recognized co-operative of Saugatuck artists.
- Good Goods, 106 Mason St, ☏ . Fine art, furniture, ceramics, glass, jewelry and wearable art.
- Janice Miles Gallery, 421 Water St, ☏ . Local and British landscape watercolors, jewelry, garden metal sculptures.
- Koorey Creations, 104 Hoffman St, ☏ . Hand crafted jewelry, extraordinary gems in gold and platinum. Seasonal hours.
- Ox-Bow, 3435 Rupprecht Way (At end of Park St.), ☏ . Summer School of art and artists’ residency.
- The Peachbelt Studio & Gallery, Corner of M-89 & 63rd St, Fennville, ☏ . Oil painting by Dawn Stafford & sculpture by Jill Lareaux.
- Saugatuck Douglas Art Club, Saugatuck Gallery, 317 Butler St., ☏ . Largest selection of oil paintings in West Michigan, affordable prices.
- [dead link] The Timmel Collection, 133 Main St, ☏ . A gallery of fine art featuring 100 artisans.
- Tuscan Pot, 321 Water Street, ☏ . Original, Italian style pottery/tiles, Italian imports and more.
- Saugatuck Chain Ferry, 407-513 Park St. A rare still-operational chain ferry. Only open during the summer season, it's a neat way to get across the Kalamazoo River. Check the website for full details. $1.00.
- [dead link] Button Gallery, 161 Blue Star Highway, Douglas, ☏ . Offering fine paintings and sculpture in Douglas since 1966.
- [dead link] Constance Petter Gallery, 161 Blue Star Highway, Douglas, ☏ . National and regional fine art for thirty years.
- Water Street Gallery, 98 Center Street, Douglas, ☏ . Contemporary fine art, painting, glass, sculpture by national/regional artists.
Stroll the art galleries, visit the eclectic shops and restaurants and walk along the Lake Michigan beach to watch the sunsets. Oval Beach – which is in Saugatuck, but accessible by driving through Douglas – was once featured by MTV as one of the "top five" beaches in the country.
Every June since 1999, Saugatuck has hosted the Waterfront Film Festival, a showcase of independent filmmaking, featuring a selection of movies ranging from (relatively) big-budget productions with well-known star or two to obscure shoestring-budget shorts, including many regional and a few worldwide debuts.
- A Christmas Carol, Saugatuck, Tickets: +1 269-857-1701. 2 weeks in December.
- Big Lake Outfitters, 640 Water St, ☏ . Charter fishing, pontoon rentals, fishing & marine supplies.
- Chamber Music Festival of Saugatuck, ☏ . Saugatuck Woman's Club. Concerts Thursdays & Fridays in July & August.
- Clearbrook Golf Club, Pro Shop & Driving Range, 6494 Clearbrook Drive, ☏ . Golf Digest Four Stars - with friendly rates & great food.
- Fenn Valley Vineyards Tasting Room, 310 Butler Street, toll-free: . Fenn Valley Tasting Room. Award winning wines of distinction.
- Fennville Goose Festival, Fennville, ☏ .
- Harbor Duck Adventures Co, Saugatuck and Douglas, ☏ . Amphibious touring water taxi.
- [dead link] Lakeshore Jazz Connection, ☏ . Sponsoring jazz performances throughout the year.
- Laketown Golf & Conference Center, 6069 Blue Star Highway, ☏ . Premier location for receptions, meetings and conferences.
- [dead link] Mason Street Warehouse, 400 Culver St, ☏ . An uptown theatre in downtown Saugatuck; a professional theatre.
- [dead link] The Red Barn, 3657 63rd Street, ☏ . Plays, cabarets, art & exhibits, ballet at the historic Red Barn.
- Saugatuck-Douglas Museum, 735 Park St, ☏ . Annual exhibits open Memorial Day - Labor Day, daily. Fall weekends.
- Saugatuck Dune Rides, 6495 Blue Star Highway, ☏ . 35 minute scenic tour thru the sand dunes of Lake Michigan.
- Star of Saugatuck Boat Cruises, 716 Water St, ☏ . 1½ hour cruise on authentic Sternwheeler – snacks & spirits.
- Saugatuck Center for the Arts, 400 Culver Street, ☏ . Arts and entertainment year-round.
- Saugatuck Dunes State Park, 6575 138th Ave. A day-use park along a secluded strip of Lake Michigan shoreline, Saugatuck Dunes State Park offers 1,000 acres of land with 2.5 miles of shore line.
- Waterfront Film Festival, 350 Culver Street, ☏ . Annual independent film festival.
- [dead link] Lakeview Lanes & Grill, 229 Center Street (Saugatuck and Douglas), ☏ . Restaurant, bar & bowling.
- [dead link] Running Rivers Kayak Rental, Wade's Bayou Park, Center St., Douglas, ☏ . No experience needed. All ages welcome. 8-hour river trips.
- American Spoon Foods, 308 Butler St, ☏ . Gourmet artisanal foods celebrating the native flavors of Michigan.
- [dead link] Belvedere Inn & Restaurant, 3656 63rd Street, ☏ . B&B and dinner. All inclusive dine and lodge.
- The Butler, 40 Butler St, ☏ . Seafood, steaks & burgers. Waterfront dining. Open year round.
- Butler Pantry, 119 Butler St, ☏ . Gourmet kitchenware, gadgets, specialty foods, wine.
- Charlie's Round the Corner Ice Dream, 134 Mason St, ☏ . 50 flavors. Saugatuck's favorite ice cream shop for 30 years.
- [dead link] Clearbrook Restaurant, 6494 Clearbrook Drive, ☏ . Choose top-rated refined dining or award winning casual food.
- Coral Gables Restaurant, 220 Water St, ☏ . Saugatuck's waterfront, entertainment complex, 5 bars, 4 restaurants.
- Kilwin's Chocolate, 152 Butler St, ☏ . Handmade chocolates, fudge and original recipe ice cream.
- The Little Store, 6586 122nd Ave, Fennville, ☏ . Beer, liquor, pizza takeout, sporting goods, grocery, lotto, video.
- Marro's Italian Restaurant, 147 Water St, ☏ . 36 years of great homemade Italian food. Casual fun dining.
- Mermaid Bar & Grill, 340 Water St, ☏ . Saugatuck. Waterfront dining and cocktails, fresh seafood, pasta and steaks.
- The Olive Mill, 220 Culver St, ☏ . Olive oil tasting experience. 30 artisan extra virgin olive oils & balsamic vinegars.
- Phil's Bar & Grille, 215 Butler St, ☏ . Hemingway's favorite Saugatuck hang-out. Damn fine food & drink.
- 1 Pumpernickels, 202 Butler St, ☏ . Breakfast, lunch, dinner & cocktails; relaxed atmosphere, patio & sun deck.
- Providence Farms , +1 269-857-1215. Organic beef, lamb, pork, chicken & turkey. Pick up at the Green market on Fridays in Saugatuck email@example.com
- The River Market & Deli, 650 Water St, ☏ . Full deli, groceries, beer, liquor, wine, bakery, cigars & gas dock.
- Sand Bar Saloon, 141 Butler St, Saugatuck, ☏ . Friendly downtown bar with beer, wine, spirits, pool tables, gyros & Keno.
- Saugatuck-Douglas Green Market, 400 Culver Street, ☏ . (June–September) Featuring Michigan farmers and artisan producers, dedicated to bringing fresh, high quality food to your table.
- 2 Spectators Sports Bar & Grill, 6432 Blue Star Highway, ☏ . 25 TVs, outdoor seating, live music, meeting room for up to 50 people.
- Tabor Hill Wine Port, 214 Butler St, Saugatuck, ☏ . Fine wines, great food, incredible view, tastings & tours (800) 283-3363
- 3 Uncommon Coffee Roasters, 127 Hoffman St, ☏ . In-house roasted coffees, fresh baked goods, full juice bar.
- 4 Wine Sellers Of Saugatuck, 247 Butler St, ☏ . Fine wine and beer, wine racks, gourmet foods, gifts and cigars.
- 5 Alley's Classic American Diner and Bowl, 229 Center Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurant, bar, bowling.
- 6 The Mitten Brewing Company, 329 Water St, ☏ . Pizza, sandwiches and more along with a selection of unique craft beers.
- 7 The Southerner, 880 Holland St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A restaurant on the water serving fantastic Southern food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The chef is excellent, and the parking lot reflects that. Call ahead to check on the wait time.
- 8 Ida Red's Cottage, 645 Water St, ☏ . A great selection of options for breakfast or lunch in a charming setting. There's often a waiting list, and they're closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- 9 Wally's, 128 Hoffman St, ☏ . 11:30AM-2:00AM. A pub serving typical American food with a lively atmosphere. It can get fairly loud, but the food and drinks are pretty cheap and good.
- Blue Star Cafe & M&M's Ice Cream, 141 Blue Star Hwy, Douglas, ☏ . Ma & Pa Greek meals, veggies, omelets, burgers, pitas, ice cream.
- DeMond's Super Valu, 237 Center St, Douglas, ☏ . Beer, wine, liquor, bakery, deli, fresh produce and tender steaks.
- Everyday People Cafe, 11 Center St, Douglas, ☏ . Casual, hip dining featuring eclectic American bistro fare.
- Costa Azul (formerly Jo Jo's), 107 Blue Star Highway, Douglas, +1 269-857-1523, Authentic, family-owned and -operated Mexican restaurant.
- 10 Saugatuck Brewing Company, 2948 Blue Star Hwy, Douglas, MI 49406, ☏ . Daily 3-6PM. Later by chance. Next door to the Antique Pavilion, Douglas. Handcrafted beer and brew. On premise brewery.
- Beechwood Manor Inn & Cottage, 736 Pleasant Street, toll-free: . An upscale bed and breakfast within walking distance to downtown Saugatuck.
- Saugatuck Bed and Breakfast, 938 Center Street, toll-free: . A Victorian home in a wooded setting half a block from the Lake Michigan beach.
- Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites, 247 Butler St., toll-free: . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: noon. $135-$225.
- Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites, 247 Butler St., toll-free: . Downtown.
- Lynn-Dee-Lea Houseboat, 868 Holland St, ☏ . Sleep on the water in this boatel.
- Twin Gables Inn, 900 Lake Street (A-2 (Blue Star Hwy) & Lake St), toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Casual bed and breakfast in town overlooking Lake Kalamazoo. From $129.
- The Wickwood Inn, 510 Butler Street, ☏ , toll-free: . Bed and breakfast near the shore of Lake Michigan that touts its food.
- Lakeshore Lodging, 735 Lake Street, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Vacation rental company in Saugatuck that offers condos and vacation home rentals near the beach of Lake Michigan.