Sayabouly ((ໄຊຍະບູລີ)) is a city in Northern Laos.
The traffic roundabout is on Hwy 4. From there you can easily find all you need. If you go north, just after the gas station is SantiPhab Guesthouse, after that is the market, and in the end you will get to Thana bus station. South is the Internet cafe, and if you keep going you will find the South bus station. 1-2 km west is the monument and a few restaurants. East will bring you to the town "centre", the ATM, and the bridge over the Nam Houng.
- Town map - There are free town maps at most guesthouses.
Most of Hwy 4 is not sealed, and in the rainy season there could be parts that are flooded and closed. There is no bridge over the Mekong, so the crossing is on a ferry. (price included in the bus ticket from Luang Prabang).
There are two bus stations - north (Thana bus station) and south. Each a little bit out of town (5-8 km), which serve different directions. Tickets can be bought at the bus station, or when boarding the bus (if there's space). Just plan to arrive at the bus station between 30-45 min before your departure, and you should have plenty of time to make purchases before your bus leaves.
Luang Prabang - the bus departs Luang Prabang at 09:00, and costs 60,000 kip. The ride takes 5 hours, and most of it is not sealed. The bus will drop you at the north bus station. From there you can take a tuk-tuk (don't pay more than 5,000 kip), walk, or just hitchhike to the centre of town.
- Monument (Go west from the roundabout ~1.5 km).
- Elephant Festival. Takes place in Feb every year in a different district. In 2010 was in Hongsa, in 2011 in Pak Lay.
- ATM- A BCEL ATM is in the centre (near the post office).
- The morning market is north on Hwy 4 and has the standard stuff like most Lao markets, fresh food, Chinese junk.
Evenings, there are a few places near the bridge that sell local food: sticky rice, ping kai, and all the usual stuff.
- Hongkham Guesthouse (Go east from the roundabout and take the right turn just before the ATM), ☏ , . A quiet, small guesthouse in the heart of town. Probably the cheapest in town, but still you get a clean room with an attached hot water bath. 50,000 kip.
- NokNoy Guesthouse (Near the bridge). A great location. 60,000 kip.
- SantiPhab Guesthouse (Go north from the roundabout. Just after the gas station), ☏ . Has big and very clean rooms, with a small TV. The attached bath has hot water. Coffee and bananas are free. Between the market and the main circle. 60,000-80,000 kip (fan or air-con).
An Internet cafe is one minute walking south from the roundabout. The only English sign says "Computer Training". The owner used to live in the USA and speaks English. 5,000 kip per hr.