town in North Lincolnshire, England
Scunthorpe is a town in Lincolnshire.
- 1 Normanby Hall (Near Scunthorpe). An English mansion built for Sir Robert Sheffield to replace a previous 17th-century property. Samantha Cameron, the wife of David Cameron, British Prime Minister 2010-16, also grew up on this site. The 350-acre estate is now in the care of North Lincolnshire Council and has become a country park which contains a number of lakes and gardens amongst other features. The Hall and museum are open every day from April to September, with the park being open throughout the year.
- 2 Gainsthorpe Medieval Village, Brigg. One of the best preserved deserted villages in the country, its outlines still being clearly visible. Accessible at any reasonable time. Free.
- 3 The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft, Sandtoft. houses the world's largest collection of historic trolleybuses, together with a number of other vehicles including period motor buses. The Museum offers a fascinating day out for all the family. Open to the public on specific event days, generally between Easter and November, when visitors can ride on a selection of trolleybuses under the specially-erected overhead. A free conducted tour in one of a number of vintage motor buses is also available. There are a number of other attractions including a 5-star-rated cafe, children's play area, 1950s and 1960s shop displays, a 1950s Prefab home and a cycle and lawnmower shop display. Many event days also feature themes and additional visiting attractions.
- Watch football (i.e. soccer) at Scunthorpe FC. They were relegated in 2019 and now play in League Two, the fourth tier of English football. The stadium is a mile west of the centre at the junction of M181 and A18.
- [dead link] Grange Park, Messingham. offers accommodation in lodges which benefit from sports facilities as well as a restaurant and bar.
- Premier Inn, Gadwall Way.
- Travelodge, Doncaster Road.
|Routes through Scunthorpe|
|Sheffield ← Doncaster ←||W E||→ merges with / → Hull (via ) / Grimsby (via )|
|Hull ← Barton-upon-Humber ←||N S||→ Lincoln|
|Doncaster ←||W E||→ Humberside Airport → Grimsby|