Yangpu (杨浦区 Yángpǔqū) is one of the districts that comprise the city centre of Shanghai. It is located northeast of the downtown core and is predominantly made up of residential communities. It is also home to the main campuses of two of China's most prestigious universities, Fudan University and Tongji University. For shoppers, the commercial core of the district is near Wujiaochang (五角场 Wǔjiǎochǎng; literally Five Corners Square) with a large group of shopping centres, restaurants, and entertainment surrounding a major roundabout.
The best way to get into Yangpu District from downtown Shanghai is by taking Shanghai Metro Lines 8 or 10 northbound. Both lines connect important locations in downtown Shanghai (Line 8 from People's Square; Line 10 from East Nanjing Road and Yuyuan Garden) and traverse through the district, ultimately terminating in the northern reaches of Yangpu. In addition, Line 10 connects directly to Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station and Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, both important transportation hubs. Numerous bus services also connect Yangpu and the surrounding areas.
Metro Line 4Edit
Metro Line 4, known as the ring line, straddles the southwestern boundary of Yangpu District with Hongkou District, traversing below Dalian Road (Chinese: 大连路). The only two stations that serve Yangpu District (near its boundary with Hongkou District) are Dalian Road station (Chinese: 大连路站) and Yangshupu Road station (Chinese: 杨树浦路站).
Metro Line 8Edit
Metro Line 8 connects People's Square and destinations further south to important destinations north of the city in Yangpu District, as well as in neighbouring Hongkou District. It serves mostly residential neighbourhoods along the route, but stations of note are Siping Road station (Chinese: 四平路站), which serves as an interchange station with Line 10, the other major metro line in Yangpu District, and Huangxing Park Station (Chinese: 黄兴公园站), with Huangxing Park (Chinese: 黄兴公园) nearby. Navigation tip: When taking Line 8 from the downtown core to Yangpu District, follow signs to trains bound for Shiguang Road station (Chinese: 市光路站).
Metro Line 10Edit
Metro Line 10 is the newest line into Yangpu District and serves many points of interest in Yangpu District. Two important locations served by this line are:
- Tongji University (Chinese: 同济大学), a prestigious university in China, located just outside Tongji University station (Chinese: 同济大学站)
- Wujiaochang (Chinese: 五角场), the primary commercial area of Yangpu District, served by either Wujiaochang station (Chinese: 五角场站) or Jiangwan Stadium station (Chinese: 江湾体育场站). Despite the former being named for the area itself, the latter is actually closer to much of the shopping and entertainment.
Navigation tip: When taking Line 10 from the downtown core to Yangpu District, follow signs to trains bound for Xinjiangwancheng station (Chinese: 新江湾城站).
If you are travelling to Yangpu District from Shanghai Railway Station, take Line 3 to Hongkou Football Stadium station (Chinese: 虹口足球场站), where you can transfer to Line 8 to continue your journey. Beware though that the interchange at Hongkou Football Stadium requires transferring from an elevated station to an underground station, which could mean many steps and a lengthy transfer. Alternatively, you can take Line 4 to Hailun Road station (Chinese: 海伦路站), where you can transfer to Line 10 to continue your journey. The platforms of both lines are underground at Hailun Road, so the interchange may be faster. The platforms of Line 3 and 4 are located in Shanghai Railway Station's North Square (Chinese: 北广场), so make sure you head toward the North Square and not the South Square, which hosts the platform for Line 1 only.
If you are travelling to Yangpu District from Pudong Airport, the journey by metro would involve taking Line 2 to Century Avenue station (Chinese: 世纪大道站) and transferring to Line 4, which takes you across the Huangpu River directly into Yangpu District. A transfer to Line 10 can be achieved at Hailun Road station (Chinese: 海伦路站). If your final stop is on Line 8, however, it may be more worthwhile to take Line 2 all the way to People's Square station, and transfer to Line 8 directly from there. Alternatively, you can take the Airport No. 4 bus (Chinese: 机场四线) from the bus terminal at Shanghai Pudong International Airport, which is an express bus that takes you directly to Wujiaochang. Depending on traffic conditions, this may be faster; in addition, the bus travels over the Yangpu Bridge (Chinese: 杨浦大桥), crossing the Huangpu River from Pudong New Area to Yangpu District.
Visit one of the many educational institutions that call Yangpu home. The two major, well-known universities in Yangpu District are Fudan University and Tongji University. Other smaller universities include the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics and the Shanghai Institute of Physical Education.
- 1 Fudan University (复旦大学). There are two campuses in Yangpu District, the older, main campus, located just west of Wujiaochang, and the newer Jiangwan campus, located in New Jiangwan Town (Chinese: 新江湾城). The main campus of Fudan University is a 10 to 15-minute walk west of Wujiaochang along Handan Road (Chinese: 邯郸路). Alternatively, you can take one of the numerous buses west along Handan Road (such as buses 59, 749, or 942) to the front gates of Fudan University. In the main campus, visit sights such as the statue of Mao Zedong (Chinese: 主席像), just inside the front gate; the newly constructed Guanghua building (Chinese: 光华楼), an imposing structure on campus; or even the basketball courts, where you will often see students playing.
- 2 Tongji University (同济大学). The main campus is in Yangpu District. The university is served by the Tongji University station (Chinese: 同济大学站) of Metro Line 10, which brings you to the southeast gate of the university, facing Siping Road (Chinese: 四平路).
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (上海财经大学). North of Fudan University's main campus. You can reach it by taking buses 406 or 819 from Wujiaochang.
- Shanghai Institute of Physical Education (上海体育学院). The main attractions of note at this university are the Chinese Martial Arts Museum (Chinese: 中国武术博物馆) and the old government building of the city of Shanghai (Chinese: 旧上海特别市政府), constructed in 1933, now an administration building for the university. Yangpu was the site of the new government of Shanghai under the Republic of China's rule, and many government buildings were constructed in this area. To reach the campus, take bus 90 from Wujiaochang. At the Hengren Road Qingyuan Ring Road (Chinese: 恒仁路清源环路) stop, get off. The west gate of the campus is to your east, and directly inside to your left will be the old government building. Further ahead will be the Wushu Museum.
- 3 National Anthem Gallery (国歌展示馆 guógē zhǎnshì guǎn), Jingzhou Road No.151 (Next to exit 2 of Dalian Road station on lines 4 and 12), ☏ . Tue-Sun 9-11:30 13:30-16, Mondays closed. Relics, artifacts and modern technology are used to tell in Chinese and English how the theme of a patriotic movie became the Chinese Anthem. You can include the gallery into a whole walk by the North Band and Shikumen Houses. Free.
- 1 Gongqing Forest Park (共青森林公园), Northeast corner of Nenjiang Road (Chinese: 嫩江路) and Jungong Road (Chinese: 军工路). Ticketing booth along Nenjiang Road just east of Jungong Road, or along Jungong Road north of Nenjiang Road. (Take Metro Line 8 to Nenjiang Road station (Chinese: 嫩江路站), and take a taxi to Gongqing Forest Park (it is a 5-minute drive east). Alternatively, take Metro Line 8 to Xiangyin Road station (Chinese: 翔殷路站), and take bus 102 directly to the park (get off at Forest Park (Chinese: 森林公园) stop). Bus 102 stops on Xiangyin Road, east of the subway station, on the south side of the street. Take exit 2 as you leave the station.). Mon-Sun 6:00-17:00. A large forest park that provides an escape from the urban confines of the city. Great for picnics and relaxation. Features thrill coasters, miniature train ride, pleasure boats, mini-golf, bumper cars. ¥15, children under 1.2 metres free when accompanied by an adult. Activities inside the park cost extra. Separate bamboo garden (Chinese: 万竹园; literally Thousand bamboo garden) on the south side of Nenjiang Road is admission ¥20.
Wanda Plaza (formerly Wujiaochang Shopping Center) is the favorite entertainment spot for university students and locals on the north side. A good selection of restaurants can be found in the plaza, along with box stores and a cinema.
- Wal-Mart (Chinese: 沃尔玛), No. 125 Songhu Road (Chinese: 淞沪路125号) (Northeast corner of Wanda Plaza (Chinese: 万达广场), accessible from inside the shopping centre or outside.). Good place to stock up on supplies if you are in the area.
Due to the large number of students, Yangpu is a budget-friendly location for food. A small and suspicious-looking alleyway off Wudong Road (Chinese: 武东路), near the main campus of Fudan University, is alive with friendly street food vendors nearly any time of day. They move to Fudan's north gate after 9:30PM.
- Ciao Cafe, 370 Zhengmin Rd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Good (Asian style) pizza, pasta, good sandwiches and coffee. Nice atmosphere and popular with foreign students. Has delivery service.
- 1 Crowne Plaza Fudan, 199 Handan Road Shanghai Yangpu China (Subway : Guoquan Road), ☏ , toll-free: . This is the most convenient full-service hotel to Fudan University. English-speaking staff aims to make your stay hassle-free. Suites are well-appointed, mattresses comfortable, rather than rock-hard. Lavish East/West buffet breakfast includes both hand-pulled noodles and Western pastries. Buffet dinner a less grand affair, but Western and Chinese a la carte menus are available. Excellent athletic facilities include a large pool. Housekeeping reflects top standards and laundry is carefully done. Concierge lounge is a quiet place to work and offers happy hour, AM coffee and Western newspapers. Taxis to central city are readily available for about 35 RMB off-peak. Near Wanda Plaza, Shanghai First Food Mall. 2 Accessible Rooms Available. $209.