Sierre (German: Siders) is a city in Central Valais. While the city is in the French part of Valais, there is a large German-speaking population and you will encounter many people being fluent in both languages. Sierre has a a rich cultural heritage but is also known for its wine.
The 1 SBB/CFF train station is in the city centre. There are half-hourly trains from Brig and Visp, as well as from Sion. Lausanne and Geneva. Half hourly regional trains connect to the smaller towns.
From the A9 motorway north of the city, either exit Sierre-Ouest or Sierre-Est can be taken to access Sierre.
The city centre is quite compact and it is possible to walk to most places.
- 1 Hôtel de Ville (Right outside the main entrance to the train station). This building which serves today as town hall was built during the 17th century by Jean-François de Courten as a residence. It served as a hotel for a long time, where a lot of famous people stayed for long periods.
- 2 Château des Vidômes. Not accessible to the public. A castle from the 15th century and Sierre's oldest building.
- 3 Church Sainte-Catherine. Baroque style church from the 17th century.
- 4 Notre-Dame des Marais. The old church of Sierre, built in the 14th century.
- 1 The Wine Museum in Sierre-Salgesch, Rue Ste-Catherine 6, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. March-October W-F 14:00–18:00, Sa-Su 11:00–18:00. This museum about all things wine is spread out over two villages, with one exposition in Sierre and a different one in nearby 2 Salgesch. Both museums are linked by a 6 km long trail through vineyards. Fr. 6 for both museums.
- Foire de Ste-Catherine. Monday and Tuesday of the last or second last week of November.
- 3 VINEA wine fair (Around the Hôtel de Ville), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Two days in early September. Wine fair showcasing wines from around Switzerland. Fr. 30 per day.
- 4 Fondation Rilke, Rue du Bourg 30, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 14:00-18:00. A museum dedicated to the work of the poet Rainer Maria Rilke. It is situated in the 18th century Maison Pancrace de Courten.
Sierre is known for its wine.
- Take the funiculaire up to Crans Montana.
- Sion, the capital of the canton, is only 10 minutes away by train.
|Routes through Sierre|
|Lausanne ← Sion ←||Geneva Airport Brig||→ Visp → Brig|