Sodus Point is a village of 860 people (2019) in the Finger Lakes Apple Country region of New York. It is a lakeside community surrounded on three sides by water, and part of the Rochester metropolitan area.
The village is on Sodus Bay, an arm of Lake Ontario.
The area became an important port on Lake Ontario in the 19th century. As the Erie Canal shifted state transportation patterns, the village's function as a port declined. In the later 19th century, it became a popular vacation resort, especially for people from Chicago and other cities during the summers.
Get in Edit
Plan on getting in by car or boat. If coming in by boat from the lake, head for the lighthouse at the end of the pier, not the historic lighthouse on top of the hill, your boat will thank you.
Get around Edit
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:21PM local time and lasts 3 min. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio then straddling the Canada–New England border.
- 1 Sodus Bay Lighthouse Museum, 7606 N Ontario St, ☏ . Through Oct 31, Tu-Su 10AM-5PM. The first floor of the building is a maritime museum. There's a reference library on the second floor, restricted access. The lighthouse tower is 50 feet tall. Free summer concert series. Over 18 $3, 11-17 $1, under 11 free.
In the village Edit
- 1 [formerly dead link] Abe's Waterfront (Abe's Waterfront Boat House Bar & Grill), 8527 Greig St, ☏ . Closed in winter. Waterfront, with boat docks.
- 2 Captain Jack's (Captain Jack's Good Time Tavern), 8505 Greig St, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-closing, Su noon-closing, all year. Breakfast is served in the waterfront dining room, F 7AM-11AM, Sa Su 7AM-noon. Waterfront, with boat docks.
- 3 Hot's Point, 8482 Greig St.. Breakfast 7AM to 11AM, lunch and dinner starts at 11AM, closed in winter. Popular spot for breakfast and ice cream, free wi-fi.
- 4 The Bay Street, 8427 Bay St, ☏ . W-Su 4PM-2PM, closed in winter (?). Fancy restaurant (by Sodus Point standards) attached to a rustic bar with a shuffleboard table. It does not look like much from the outside.
On the bay Edit
- 5 Connelly's Cove, 7147 Lake Bluff Rd, ☏ . Waterfront, with boat docks.
- 6 Steger Haus, 7171 North Geneva Rd, ☏ . German restaurant.
See Eat - bars are at Abe's Waterfront, Captain Jack's, Papa Joe's, The Bay Street and Connelly's Cove, among others. Live music (mostly outdoors) is abundant and free every weekend from Memorial Day through Labor Day.