Sonipat is a city in Rohtak Division.
Sonipat also spelled as Sonepat, is an ancient town and a municipal council in Sonipat district in the state of Haryana, India.It comes under National Capital Region and is 45 km north of Delhi. It is a part of National Capital Region along with Delhi, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Mewat, Palwal, Rewari, Jhajjar, Rohtak, Panipat, Alwar, Bhiwadi Industrial Town, Noida, Ghaziabad, Bulandshahr, and Meerut. The district borders Delhi union territory in south, Panipat District in the north, Jind District in the north-west, Uttar Pradesh state in the east with the Yamuna River acting as a border and Rohtak District in the west.
This district was carved out of the erstwhile Rohtak district on 22 December 1972.
Sonepat comprises 3 sub-divisions namely Ganaur, Sonepat and Gohana and seven blocks (Ganaur, Sonipat, Rai, Kharkhoda, Gohana, Kathura and Mundlana) has been carved out of Rohtak and made a full fledged district on 22 December 1972. Sonepat is the largest tehsil followed by Gohana.
Legend - Sonipat was earlier known as Sonprastha, which later on became Swarnprastha, meaning the "Golden City": derived from two Sanskrit words, Swarn (Gold) and Prastha (Place). Over a period of time, the classical name Swarnprasth's pronunciation degraded into Swarnpath, and then to its current form, Sonipat.
The earliest reference of this city comes in the epic Mahabharata, and at that time, it was one of the five villages demanded by the Pandavas in lieu of the kingdom of Hastinapur. The other four villages were Panprastha (Panipat), Baghprastha (Baghpat), Indraprastha, and Tilprastha (Tilpat). It is believed that it was founded as Swarnaprastha by the five Pandava brothers during the times of Mahabharata. Another legend ascribed it to Raja Soni, the thirteenth descendent of Arjuna, one of the Pandava brothers.
You can reach Sonipat by train and road directly.It is located on the Northern Railways' Ambala-Delhi rail route and a number of passenger trains daily passes through it. National Highway 1 passes through this district & city is very well connected to delhi & other places. Delhi's Indira Gandhi International airport is also just 59 Km from Sonipat.
- Baba dham'. Baba dham' is the main attractive religious temple and status symbol of Sonipat. It is a very neat and clean temple with many small temples within such as Sani Mandir, Sai Mander, Radha Kirshan Mandir, and more. This temple is found in the outskirts of Sonipat near the Kami-Bhuri road.
- Khwaja Khizr Tomb. Red sandstone and 'kankar' block monument with highly decorated floral ceiling.
- Mata Chintpurni Mandir. Religious followers have visited here for centuries in order to pray at the lotus feet of Mata Shri Chhinnamastika Devi.
- Mughal Buildings. At the outskirts of the city one can enjoy the site of Mughal Buildings which lie unprotected. Among them is the Mosque of Abdullah Nasir-ud-din, who was a descendant from Mushid of Iran kijjar makkbara. In Sonipat Kijjar Makkbara is the most beautiful garden having very rich historic legend associated with it. When visiting Sonipat, one must see this site. It is reserved heritage and open to the public during the whole year. It is very beautiful with green grass and beautiful plants. It is situated in outer part of the city in village Jatwada.
- Sai Dham. A very religious site as well as a popular tourist destination.
- Shankar Kui. One of the oldest temples in Sonipat.
- Shri Ram Temple. One of the oldest, if not the oldest temples in Sonipat.
- Yamuna River. The river flows besides the rural belt of the city with its holy waters which turn into a Black Nullah after entering the National Capital Delhi. It also acts as a natural boundary also between state of Haryana and the state of Uttar Pradesh.
There are plenty of eateries in and around the city and getting good food is not a problem.
- Murthal Dhabas, The world famous dhabas of murthal offer the tempting paranthas with dollops of butter & lassi. Try paranthas at Ahuja No1, Gulshan, Sukhdev, Pehalwan. This list doesn't ends.
- Murthal Haveli, The only branch of the famous jalandhar haveli which offers the tempting Punjabi food.
- Pind Baluchi, The famous restaurant of vatika group has opened its outlet just opposite the Haveli.
- Pyaare ke peede, Pyaare ke Peede & laasi is famous in the whole of Haryana.
- Ram Kishen Sweets, The famous sweet shop located in the heart of city famous for its samosas. The shop is located near subash chowk sonipat.
Sonipat also has a barista, Cafe Coffee Day outlet as well on the National Highway 1 near murthal.
Main of drink SONIPAT MILK , LASSI AND MILK POINT MAIN HUB OF MILK ..SACHIN REDHU (JAULI )GOHANA
World famous jalbi in GOHANA(SONIPAT) ..large jalbi in world ..please come and enjoy ..ADDRESS ..MATU RAM JALEBI GOHANA BY SACHIN REDHU CONTACT.9813388745