Sonoita is a village of 800 people (2020) in South Central Arizona.
The Santa Rita Mountains and the Canelo Hills lie to the west and southwest respectively. The headwaters of Sonoita Creek are just west of the site.
Get in Edit
The community is at the intersection of Arizona State Route 83 and Arizona State Route 82. 
Get around Edit
- Historic Fort Crittenden and Fort Buchanan lie approximately four miles west of Sonoita, just north of Sonoita Creek and Route 82.
- 1 Empire Ranch, Hwy 83 (south of I-10, turn east between mileposts 39 and 40), ☏ . Dawn to dusk. A beautifully-situated historic ranch from the 1860s. The adobe ranch house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the property is managed as part of the Las Cienegas National Conservation Area. The area offers good opportunities for a range of outdoor activities, including birding, hiking, and horseback riding. Free.
- 2 Kentucky Camp, Santa Rita Mountains (east of Hwy 83, south of I-10), ☏ . A ghost town and former mining camp which is maintained by the Coronado National Forest. A few buildings have been restored, and for a unique experience visitors can rent one of the buildings for an overnight stay (see listing below).
- 1 Labor Day Rodeo, 3142 Hwy 83 (Sonoita Fairgrounds), ☏ . Junior rodeo begins at noon, main performance at 2PM. A three-day traditional rodeo, held annually in September. $15 (adults), $5 (children 6-12), free (children under 6).
- Annual Sonoita Horse Races, 3142 Hwy 83 (Sonoita Fairgrounds), ☏ . Held in May: gate admission at 10AM, races begin at 1PM). A weekend of live races with Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses, with betting and food. Sa $20 (adults), Su $15 (adults); free (children under 13).
- 2 Xanadu Ranch GetAway, 92 Los Encinos Rd, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 3 [dead link] Arizona Horseback Experience, 16 Coyote Ct, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Kentucky Camp, Santa Rita Mountains (east of Hwy 83, south of I-10), toll-free: . Cabins are furnished, but guests must bring their own sleeping bags and pillows. For site description see listing above. $75/night.
- 2 Kentucky Camp Dispersed Camping Area, Santa Rita Mountains (east of Hwy 83, south of I-10), ☏ . Dispersed camping is permitted, no drinking water onsite. Free.