Southern Shores is a town in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. From the beautiful oceanfront to the sound, Southern Shores has been the best kept secret on the Outer Banks since 1947. The beaches are private and uncrowded. A community soundside bathing beach and playground are great for families with small children. And while it is a residential area, Southern Shores is just minutes from shops, restaurants, and area attractions.
From the North come in on US 158/168. Turn North on Rt. 12. From the West use US-64 and 264 to Rt 12 North. Southern Shores is a 4 mile stretch of land between Kitty Hawk and Duck. Mostly residential, it is a favorite vacation spot for many families that want to get away from it all.
As far as locations, Southern Shores is a nice place. It is right across the Wright Memorial bridge (the main bridge to the Outer Banks from the north) so once you get across the bridge you're pretty much "there" if you've rented a house in Southern Shores. You'll see what I mean if you've rented a house in Corolla or Avon. Also, the beaches are less crowded (not that OBX beaches are ever very crowded, that's one of the beauties of the place) as the density of housing is not as high as other areas on the island.
If you are staying in Southern Shores, you might want to think first before you go out in a car on Saturday or Sunday during the summer. Route 12 (which goes north to Duck and Corolla) is packed with families leaving who have just ended their week of vacation and new families coming in. It's not impossible but can get quite busy.
Southern Shores does not have many restaurants as it is an area that is mostly residential, but there are great places nearby. Try Rundown Cafe at Mile Post 2. Pretty casual but one of the best restaurants on the Outer Banks. Also, Duck Donuts has sinfully delicious doughnuts (and only doughnuts).
- Beach Realty & Construction / Kitty Hawk Rentals – Corolla/Duck/Southern Shores/Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills/Colington/Nags Head, 1450 Duck Road (Rt. 12), Duck, NC 27949, toll-free: . Outer Banks Vacation Rentals (mini-weeks, full weeks, extended stays), real estate and construction services.
- Carolina Designs, 1197 Duck Road Duck, NC 27949, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: , email@example.com. Carolina Designs has providing vacation property rentals and sales for over 25 years. 4-22 Bedroom rentals available across the outer banks region
- Joe Lamb Jr. & Associates, P.O. Box 1030, Mile Post 2, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Outer Banks vacation rentals in Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, and South Nags Head.
- Resort Realty, ☏ , email@example.com. Kitty Hawk, Outer Banks vacation rentals, 2-10 bedrooms, private pools, pet-friendly, event planning. Offers Resort Club collection of top-of-the-line vacation properties.
- Seaside Realty Outer Banks Vacations, ☏ , toll-free: . Vacation rentals in Southern Shores. Bed linens & bath towels included; 1 - 17 bedrooms, private pools, hot tubs, game rooms, elevator, dog-friendly.
- Southern Shores Realty, 5 Ocean Blvd, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers over 650 Outer Banks vacation rental homes in Corolla, Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head.
- Sun Realty Vacation Rentals, toll-free: . Sun Realty offers a wide collection of beach vacation rental homes and cottages in Southern Shores and the entire stretch of the Outer Banks.
|Routes through Southern Shores|
|Corolla ← Duck ←||N S||→ Kitty Hawk → Nags Head|