- For other places with the same name, see Sparta (disambiguation).
At the decree of King Otto of Greece, the present day city of Sparta was built in 1834 near the site of the original city. With its wide, tree lined boulevards, the city was designed to be a paragon for all Greek towns.
The modern town still reflects this original vision, and is a very pleasant and green city set before a backdrop of lush hills. The city is situated in the valley of Evrotas River to the east of the Taigetos Mount at an altitude of 210m.
- Athens - Sparta: 9 daytime buses that run for 4 hours
- Kalamata - Sparta: everyday at 09:15 (Except Saturday & Sunday) and 14:30
By car, Sparta is 1 hour away from Kalamata.
- 1 Archaeological Museum of Sparta, 71, Osiou Nikonos Str, ☏ .
- 2 The Acropolis of Sparta. Remains of the temple of Athena Chalkioikos on the top of the Acropolis and a large Byzantine Basilica dated to the 10th century A.D. On the south side of the acropolis lies an ancient theater dated to the early imperial period. It preserves the orchestra and part of the cavea. Excavations carried out by the British Archaeological School of Athens gave evidence of decorated shops that served people attending theatrical performances.
- 3 The Museum of the Olive and Greek Olive Oil, 129, "Othonos-Amalias" Str., ☏ . From March 1st through to October 15th: Daily (except Tuesdays) 10 am - 6 pm. From October 16th through to February 28th: Daily (except Tuesdays) 10 am - 5 pm.. The history of the olive oil production from prehistoric times to the early 20th century. Standard entrance fee: € 3,00.
- 4 Mystras. A UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 1 Apollon Hotel, 84, Thermopylon Str, ☏ . 2-star hotel
- 2 Cecil Hotel, 125, K. Paleologou Str, ☏ , fax: , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1-star hotel
- 3 Lakonia Hotel, 89, K. Paleologou Str, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 2-star hotel
- 4 Sparta Inn Hotel, 109, Thermopylon Str, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 2-star hotel
- Kalamata, coastal city one hour away by car.