St Helens is a fishing and beach resort town on Georges Bay, on the north-east coast of the state of Tasmania. It is the largest coastal town in the region.
Did you know!
This small beach town was the claimed birthplace of the sultry Hollywood screen siren of the 30s, Merle Oberon. She was actually born in Mumbai of a mixed race family, but persisted with the myth of her birthplace until her death, even though she never visited the town.
St Helens is on the Tasman Hwy, which tracks the eastern coast of Tasmania north of Hobart. It is around two hours drive from Launceston, which is also the closest airport.
St Helens has pretty white sandy beaches, rocks covered with spectacular orange lichen and crystal clear water.
- Bay of Fires Eco Tours, Main Rd, Binalong Bay, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Five-star boat and dining options from the town known as the seafood capital of Tasmania.
- Michael Haley's Gone Fishing Charters, PO Box 149 St Helens Tasmania 7216, ☏ . Gone Fishing Charters is a fishing charter operation concentrating on fish on the East Coast of Tasmania. Half day estuary tour $350 for 5 people.
- Ahoy! Boat Hire, Watersports Centre St Helens Tasmania 7216, ☏ . Ahoy! Boat Hire offers a range of watercraft for hire from a dinghy to a luxury pontoon.
- East Coast Scuba Centre, 124 Binalong Bay Road St Helens Tasmania 7216. Offers diving and snorkelling equipment for hire on Tasmania’s east coast.
- Keen Angler Fishing Charters, ☏ . All year round. Join skippers Lionel and Kai-lee for a full or half day fishing adventure, big game or reef fishing, for up to 4 people.
- Tas 4x4 Tours, toll-free: 1300 827 494.
- Zulu Charterz, ☏ .
- Pyengana Cheeses, St Columba Falls Road, Pyengana (20 minutes from St Helens), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open 7 days 9AM to 5PM (10AM to 4PM in winter). Creators of award-winning traditional, cloth-bound cheddar cheese which is made using the methods of the pioneers. Apart from the cheeses, the dairy shop sells deliciously fresh milkshakes, cakes, handcrafted wood items, pottery and more.
- Cerise Brook Orchard, 315 Medea Cove Road, St Helens, ☏ . Cherries and plums available for sale, along with coffee and tea. Also, 9-hole family golf course on site - clubs for hire.
- Priory Ridge Wines Cellar Door, ☏ .
- Homelea Accommodation Spa Cottage & Apartments., 16 - 18 Tasman Highway, St Helens, ☏ . Apartment and cottage accommodation. Standard apartment from $148 per night.
- Panorama St.Helens, 1 Quail Street St Helens, ☏ . Resort with 60 guest rooms. Special package $275 includes 1 night in King Spa room plus cooked breakfast and 3-course dinner.
- St Helens YHA, 5 Cameron St, St Helens Tasmania 7216, ☏ . This hostel is centrally located and offers beautiful views. Twin room fom $40.
- BIG4 St Helens Holiday Park, St Helens, Tasmania, ☏ 1300 559 745 (local rate). From budget cabins to Valley View units. Villa Units from $130.
- The French House, ☏ .
- Sweetwater Villas, ☏ .
- Queechy Cottages, ☏ .
- Bayside Inn, ☏ .
- Artnor Lodge, ☏ .
- Pelican Point Sanctuary, 170 Binalong Bay Road, ☏ .
A short drive north is Binalong Bay, gateway to the beautiful beaches of the Bay of Fires. Please note there are no shops north of St Helens and no water available, so stock up on fuel and bring your own water supplies.
Visit St Columba Falls, situated about 30 minutes from St Helens and 12 kilometres from the township of Pyengana. The Falls, which plunge 90 metres from the Mt Victoria foothills, can either be viewed from the car park or from a viewing platform at the end of an easy 15-20 minute rainforest walk.