Stavroupoli is the largest and most important of the villages of Nestos river, located on the forested slopes of Rodhopi mountain range. The village is built on the banks of Nestos river, close to the Nestos Gorge, a top-rated tourist attraction of Western Thrace. The municipality of Stavroupolis encompasses the north western part of the Prefecture of Xanthi, bordering to the north with Bulgaria. The northern areas feature rough alpine scenery with sharp crests and few tiny hamlets.
1 Railway station
- 1 Nestos Gorge. A gorge with steep rocky slopes covered by forest. It's also an important wildlife refuge for golden eagles and a variety of other native birds. Hiking in Nestos Gorge is easy; You can follow the path along the railway line south of Stavroupoli. The most popular section of the trail starts near the abandoned station of 1 Livera and ends at the village of 2 Toxotes, a popular staging point for kayakers and hikers alike. The views are spectacular and breath-taking. Stone tables and resting benches are available on the trail.
- Museum of Folklore.
- 2 Hamidiye Bridge. An Ottoman bridge across the river Kossinthos. The bridge was built in 1903 and exploded by the retreating Greek army in 1941.
- Church of Evaggelistria.
- 3 Leibaditis waterfall. 35 metres high
The Rodhopi mountains are full of routes and trails for cycling, hiking and horse riding.
- Hiking - A signed 5km trail, starting at Karyofyto village, leads you to Gyftokastro peak, with an altitude of 1745m and a panoramic view to contiguous Bulgaria.
- 1 Forest Village "Erymanthos", ☏ , , (mobile). Wooden cabins owned by Greek forest rangers and available to rent.
- 2 Iniochos Guest-house (Komnina village), ☏ , . Rooms to let
- 3 Kallithea Mountain hut (Kallithea village), ☏ , (Mobile).
- 4 Drimia Mountain Hut (Drimia village), ☏ . State owned
- 5 [formerly dead link] Livaditis Mountain Hut, ☏ (mobile).
- 6 Agnantio (Karyofyto village), ☏ (mobile).
- 7 Xenios Zeus Guesthouse, ☏ (mobile).
- Karyon (Karyofyto village), ☏ (Mobile), (Mobile). Tourist rented maisonettes
- 8 To Archontiko Traditional Guesthouse, ☏ , (Mobile), (Mobile). A renovated mansion built in the 1920s. Three bedrooms
- 9 Tzivaeri Guesthouse (Lykodromi village), ☏ , (Mobile), (Mobile). Furnished apartments to let