Stein am Rhein is a town in the eastern part of Switzerland. It is situated on the river Rhine, at the western end of Lake Constance (Untersee). It is famous for its medieval town centre, including many half-timbered houses and frescoes. The town is split across the Rhine, with the old town centre on the north side.
Stein am Rhine was just a small fishing village until 1007, when St. Georges's abbey was moved there. Stein am Rhine was at an intersection between major roadways and the river, and both the town and the abbey prospered. The town now has a population of a little over 3000, and is a popular tourist destination.
By train — Stein am Rhein is accessible by Zürich S-Bahn S29 Winterthur - Stein am Rhein, which is connected to other S-Bahn lines at Winterthur (S7, S8, S12, S16), Oberwinterthur (S8, S12), Wallrüti (S12), Reutlingen (S12) or Seuzach (S12). If you have an all-zone ZVV travelcard, you should buy a single ticket from Stammheim (as opposed to paying for the whole stretch).
By car —
By bus — From Radolfzell, take bus 7368.
Walking is the best way. There is a large parking lot on the west edge of the old town centre where you can leave your car.
- 1 Hohenklingen Castle (Up on the hill at the north edge of Stein am Rhein.), ☏ . You can drive to it or walk the stairs up the hillside. From the castle you get a gorgeous view of the town. The best views are (of course) from the restaurant in the castle. Entrance is free.
- 2 St. George's Abbey, ☏ . October to April, 10:00 to 17:00. Closed Mondays. A Benedictine abbey with a late gothic cloister and frescoes dating from 1515.
- 3 Lindwurm Museum, Understadt 18, ☏ . March to October, 10:00 to 17:00. Tuesdays closed. This museum displays the lifestyle of a middle class family in about 1850. Fr. 3.50.
- 4 Rathausplatz. A square surrounded by beautiful old buildings.
There are many restaurants and cafés with outdoor seating along the river.
- Hotel – Restaurant Adler, Rathausplatz 2, ☏ . Single: Fr. 130-150; double: Fr. 180 -200.
- 1 [dead link] Hotel Chlosterhof, Oehningerstrasse 2, ☏ . They also have an on-site restaurant serving non-guests of the hotel. Single: Fr. 240-265, double: Fr. 296-340.
- Garni-Hotel Mühletal, Oehingerstrasse 6. Starting at Fr. 100.
- Youth Hostel (Jugendherberge SJH), Hemishoferstrasse 87 (About 900m west of the old town centre, along the river), ☏ . Check-in: 05:00–10:00, check-out: 08:00–10:00. Members Fr. 29.50, non-members Fr. 35.50, includes breakfast.