Study Butte-Terlingua is a group of tiny communities in the Trans-Pecos region of Texas set against the desert and mountain scenery of Big Bend Country and home to ghost towns, remote getaways, and famous chili cook-offs. The boundary between Study Butte (STOO-dee BYOOT) and Terlingua blurs to such a degree that they are often treated as a single entity (though locals may have something to say about that).
No public transportation serves this remote area of the state, so you'll need to provide your own. An automobile is your best bet, though bicycles are becoming increasingly popular. If you own a horse, the backcountry here makes for beautiful, if rugged, terrain.
- Big Bend Resort Restaurant, ☏ . 6AM-7PM daily.
- Chili Pepper Cafe, ☏ . M-Tu, Th-Su 8AM-8:30PM.
- [formerly dead link] Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe (KKKK), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Th-M 7AM-3PM.
- [dead link] La Kiva Restaurant & Bar, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 5PM-midnight daily. $9-18.
- Long Draw Pizza, ☏ .
- Rio Bravo Mexican Restaurant, ☏ .
- Roadrunner Deli, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Terlingua Springs Market and Coffee House, ☏ . 9AM-6PM. Natural food store and coffee bar
- Tivo's Restaurant (next to the Longhorn Motel), ☏ .
Terlingua Ghost TownEdit
Beer, cocktails, and an impressive variety of tequila and other Mexican liquors are served up at La Kiva.
- Boathouse Bar, ☏ . 4PM daily.
- [formerly dead link] Big Bend Getaway, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Two- or three-night minimum stay required. $109-$129.
- [formerly dead link] Big Bend Resort (Big Bend Motor Inn / The Mission Lodge), ☏ . The dated motel rooms are basic at best but serviceable, though 2-room apartment- or house-style accommodations with kitchens are also available. The Mission Lodge across the street is under the same management (but boasts a slightly more rustic exterior). An RV park ($21-$29/night) and campground ($15/night) are also on the premises; discounts are offered for long-term stays. There's also a cafe serving Tex-Mex and a convenience store on site. No late check-ins allowed after 10PM. $89-$105 single rooms, $149-$199 apartments (price covers up to 4-6 adults).
- Chisos Mining Co. Motel (Easter Egg Motel), ☏ . $57-$140.
- [formerly dead link] Longhorn Ranch Motel and RV park, Hwy 118 South, Terlingua, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. $60-$85.
- Ten Bits Ranch, 6000 North County Rd, Terlingua, toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Two-night minimum stay required. A unique area Bed and Breakfast with 360 mountain views. Styled around a themed old west town of "Chimney Rock". You will stay in one of the 4 rooms, the Gun Smith room, the Bank room, the School House room or the General Store room. $129-$199.
- Wild Horse Station, ☏ . $80.
- 1 Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa, HC 70 Box 400 (15 miles south of Terlingua Ghost town on the River Road (Hwy 170)), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Rooms vary in size, decor and price from simple hotel rooms with "Cowboy Bordello" style rooms in the Badlands Hotel part of the resort, to one-of-a-kind suites, luxurious condos, and even 1,2, or 3 bedroom houses. Resort amenities include horseback riding, an amazing golf course, ATV/jeep/river tours, a Spa, two pools, two restaurants, and the infamous Thirsty Goat Saloon. $129-$599.
Terlingua Ghost TownEdit
- El Dorado Hotel, toll-free: . $79-$125.
- [dead link] La Posada Milagro, 100 Milagro Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. $145-$350.
- Terlingua House, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Two-night minimum stay required. $220 + $75 one-time cleaning/restocking fee.
- Upstairs at the Mansion, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Two-night minimum stay required. $65.
|Routes through Study Butte-Terlingua|
|Jct W E ← Alpine ←||N S||→ Big Bend N.P. → END|
|Presidio ← Lajitas ←||W E||→ END|