Of all the islands, only Tanera Mòr is inhabited and hardly anybody stays all through the winter. In the summer, some houses, including the former school, are available for rent. Painting and photography classes are also run.
Get in edit
Get around edit
Other than walking on Tanera Mòr, you can only see what your excursion allows but this includes great cliff scenery, seascapes and views of the mainland, grey and common seals and numerous breeding sea birds in season.
- Priest Island is an RSBP reserve.
- Walk. There are numerous footpaths around much of the island from the landing stage.
- Stamps, Post Office. Almost unbelievably, Tanera Mòr shares one characteristic only with Lundy in south-west England and Caldey Island off the coast of Tenby, Wales, out of all the islands that form part of the UK. It issues its own postage stamps, which are valid throughout the UK. Valid stamps only cost their face value and make a talking point! Of course there are numerous historic sets on sale as well.
Eat and drink edit
- Cafe. Beverages and light snacks are also available in the post office and are worth their weight in gold, if only because the building provides shelter from the midges.
- Summer Isles Holiday Lets, Tanera Mòr. 5 holiday rental cottages.
As of Aug 2022, the islands have no mobile signal from any carrier.
Go next edit
- Achiltibuie is near Inverpolly Nature Reserve and has mountains to hike up.
- Ullapool is the area transport hub, with buses to Inverness and ferries to Stornoway on Lewis.
- North Coast 500 is a motoring itinerary, with Achiltibuie a side-loop.