Svendborg is a city on the southern coast of Funen. With around 27.000 citizens, it is the island's second largest city after Odense. Svendborg is home to the Naturama museum. It is the gateway to the South Funen Archipelago, with National Road 9 (Primærrute 9) leading to islands Tåsinge and Langeland, and ferries to Ærø and other islands.
Svendborg is reachable by National Road 9 (Primærrute 9). It branches off the main highway (E20) across Funen south of Odense, which is about a 25 minute drive. The Fynbus' regional bus lines; 121, 162 and 163 mainly uses local roads and takes about 1½ hours. Trains  are faster and the locals' preferred choice, which takes 42 minutes from Odense. If you are travelling from Copenhagen, you might want to consider switching to a bus in Nyborg instead, as this might be faster, depending on how long the stopover is.
Svendborg harbour is open to both leisure sailors and commercial ferry traffic, and routes out of Svendborg go to Ærøskøbing on Ærø and to several small islands in the South Funen archipelago. All ferries depart from the ferry terminal at Havnepladsen square.
- Svendborg Cykeludlejning, Jessens Mole 9B, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. June-August 9-13. Bike rentals right on the harbour in Svendborg, in cooperation with the tourist information desk. 80 DKK first day then 60 DKK/day.
- International Clown Festival. Svendborg has hosted an International Clown Festival for over a decade. For a week in mid May the town is full of exciting street performances. There is also a grand parade and a theatre gala show which is well worth trying to get tickets for. Clowns from all over the world gather the festival and perform around the town in various venues throughout the week as well as in the streets.
Svendborg is located at the beautiful Svendborg Sound, and is a good starting point to explore the Sydfynske Øhav archipelago. Several ferries connect to some of the islands from Svendborg, and there are also some pretty veteran tour boats to take you on short cruises in the area.
- M/S Helge (Tour boat), Centrumpladsen 4 (Tourist Information Desk), ☏ . 16/5-13/9 9-17.30. 1 hour tour to Valdemar Slot (pictured) or a 2 hour return trip, also available for charter. 25-50 DKK.
- Maritimt Center Danmark, Havnepladsen 2, ☏ . Does cruises around the archipelago south of the city, in beautiful old wooden ships during the summer (June-August) mainly in the weekends, but you can be lucky to catch a tour on other days, reservations is recommended. Also charters old sail ships to groups of more than 20 people. 150-250 DKK.
- Nicus Nature (Sea Kayak rentals), Vindebyørevej 31b, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Sea kayak rentals and guided tours in the archipelago. 300/450 DKK 3 hours/day.
- Sydfyns bådudlejning (Boat rental), Pengekrogen 52, ☏ . Rents out several sail boats ranging from 7,77m to 8,30 m weekends: 1995-5995 DKK, Weekly: 3995-6495 DKK.
- Valdemar Castle (5 km out on the island of Tåsinge). May to September. Beautiful late baroque palace from 1639. Adult: DKK 85.