Târnăveni, is a city in Mureş County, Transylvania in Romania. Târnăveni is split in two important areas the old side of the city with the centre and neighbourhoods Republicii, Nicolae Bălcescu, Frumoasei, Viitorului, Păcii, Şoimilor; the area of Boziaş old village which in 1964 became part of the city.
Other neighbourhoods are: 1 Decembrie on the road to Târgu Mureş, Dezrobiri on the road to Blaj and the industrial area of the city. Between city centre and Boziaş the neighbourhoods George Enescu, Tineretului and Victoriei were built. And Botorca and Cuştelnic neighbourhoods, two villages now part of the city.
Târnăveni (Dicsőszentmárton in Hungarian, Sankt Martin in German, Tycheum Sent Marton in Latin) has 26.000 inhabitants. It's in the centre of Transylvania, nearby the Carpathian Mountains in Transylvanian plateau. In late Middle Ages, or more accurately in 1278, the land was documentary attested with the name of Sent Marton, or in Latin, the official language of that times, terra Tycheum Sent Marton.
In the city as in all the region, the official language is Romanian. But because near 20% of the local inhabitants are Hungarian, Hungarian language is also spoken here.
Get in edit
By car edit
By train edit
There is the no. 307 magistrala that connects Tarnaveni to the national railway on the no. 300, in Blaj Arad, Timişoara, Braşov, Sighişoara, Ploieşti and Bucharest, now the trains that are used here are part of RC-CF Trans S.R.L Braşov enterprise.
- Municipal Museum with numerous ethnographic and archaeological collection presenting the Tarnava Valley.
- The Technical College, once The Târnava Mică County Prefecture
- Unitarian Church built in Gothic style in 15th century. The church is declared historical monument.
- Roman Catholic Church with the St. Martin name, city owner;
- Greek-Catholic Church „from hill”, Saints Michael and Gabriel, protopopial church;
- Ortodox Protopopial Church "Saint Trinity", from 1939-1940;
- Ortodox Church Saint George;
Go next edit
- 15 km away in Blaj in Cetatea de Baltă a medieval castle can be found, build between 1570-1580;
- "Corona" Forest, on the hill between Târnava Mică river and Mureş river
- Bazna resort [dead link] with salt water on the road to Mediaş 15 km from Târnăveni
- Râioasa Salted Baths - a small lake with salted water and also with mud that can serve in medicinal use