Taipa-Mangonui is a string of seaside communities in the Far Far North of the North Island of New Zealand. The communities lie along State Highway 10 in the large Doubtless Bay and are, from the west, Taipa, Cable Bay, Coopers Beach and Mangonui. There are also smaller settlements on the more remote Karikari Peninsula, which forms the western end of Doubtless Bay.
Get in edit
By bus edit
Mangonui, Coopers Beach, Cable Bay and Taipa are each served by a daily Intercity coach that departs Kerikeri at 12:35PM and takes about an hour. There are also services from Kaitaia leaving at 8AM and 12:15PM. There are connections from Auckland.
Far North Link runs a weekday commuter service leaving Mangonui at 6:55AM for Kaitaia, then leaving Kaitaia to return at 5:05PM, with additional services on Tu.
Get around edit
- 1 Butler Point Whaling Museum, 31 Marchant Rd, Hihi, toll-free: . The restored 1847 homestead of Captain William Butler (1814–1875), gardens, pohutukawa trees, including one of the biggest in New Zealand, and the museum. Open by appointment only as the house is occupied.
- Heritage Trail of Mangonui. 3-km walk around historic sites in Mangonui. Get a leaflet ($1) from the info centre at 126 Waterfront Dr and you can start the walk there.
- 2 Matthews Vintage Collection, 4365 State Highway 10. Daily 9AM–5PM (reduced hours May–Nov). Vintage cars, tractors, stationary engines and appliances. Adult $10, child $5.
- 3 Rangikapiti Pa, Rangikapiti Rd, Coopers Beach. Site of a former Maori pa (fortified village) with great views.
- 4 Taumarumaru Scenic Reserve, State Highway 10, Coopers Beach. Contains the sites of three former pa. There are several tracks through the reserve. Can be accessed from the highway or the sand at the western end of Coopers Beach.
- 1 Mangonui Craft Market, Mangonui Hall, 132 Waterfront Dr, Mangonui. Sa 9AM-2PM.
- 1 BeachBox Coffee & Gelato, 31 Coopers Dr, Coopers Beach (below the Four Square store). M-F 8AM-4PM, Sa Su 8:30AM-4PM.
- 2 Cable Bay Store, 384 State Highway 10, Cable Bay. Hot takeaways and cabinet food.
- Four Square Coopers Beach, 9 Coopers Dr, Coopers Beach. Daily 7:30AM–8PM. Grocery store. There is a butchery across the road.
- 3 Fresh & Tasty, 112 Waterfront Dr, Mangonui. Daily 11AM-7PM. Fish & chips and other takeways.
- 4 Mangonui Fish Shop, 137 Waterfront Dr, Mangonui. Daily 10AM-21:00. This diner is built on stilts over the harbour and has wonderful views. Years ago it also served some of the best fish and chips in the country and was world famous in New Zealand. It still has excellent views but the food is ordinary and Fresh & Tasty around the corner now has a better reputation for food quality and value.
- 5 Wild Nekta, 568 State Highway 10, Taipa. Cafe.
- 6 Indian Spice, 66 Waterfront Dr, Mangonui. Generous sized portions of Indian cuisine. Eat in or take away. Mains $17-20.
- 7 Little Kitchen on the Bay, 118 Waterfront Dr, Mangonui. Daily 8AM-3:30PM, also some evenings. Great place for breakfast, lunch, a snack, or (some days) dinner.
- 8 The Thai, 80 Waterfront Dr, Mangonui. Tu-Su 5-11PM. Dine in or take away. Small but excellent licensed restaurant. Mains mostly $21-27.
- 9 Waterfront Cafe & Bar, 88 Waterfront Dr, Mangonui. Daily 8:30AM-9PM.
- 1 Mangonui Hotel, Waterfront Dr, Mangonui. Built in 1905.
- Carrington Estate, 109 Matai Bay Rd, Karikari Peninsula, ☏ . Five-star hotel and resort with 3-bedroom villas available. Golf course and vineyard on-site.
- 1 Ramada Resort by Wyndham Reia Taipa Beach, 22 Taipa Point Rd, Taipa, ☏ . Has cafe with brunch menu 7AM-2PM daily, and cabinet food until 3:30PM, and restaurant 5:30PM till late (bookings recommended).