Agriculture and tourism are the main industries in Golden Bay, so the economy is fairly seasonal.
Drive over the Takaka Hill, which is also known as the Marble Mountain (because that's what its made from). A stunning drive with roughly 250 bends and stunning views over both Tasman and Golden Bays. (Which probably explains its undiscovered nature.) It is about 100 km or 1 h 40 min drive from Nelson. You can hire a rental car from Nelson Airport.
Golden Bay Coachlines offer coach services between Nelson and Takaka on a regular basis.
Rental cars are available from Takaka town and Takaka Aerodrome.
- 1 Abel Tasman National Monument, Abel Tasman Drive (just past Port Tarakohe). Monument built in 1942 to commemorate the visit of Dutch explorer Abel Tasman and his crew in 1642, the first known Europeans to visit New Zealand. There's an easy 5-minute walking track to the monument and a viewing platform on a headland, with views of the Tata Islands and Ligar Bay.
- Scenic flights with Golden Bay Air. The company offers a variety of flights around Golden Bay, including Farewell Spit and Abel Tasman and Kahurangi National Parks from Takaka Aerodrome.
- 2 Waikoropupu Springs, Pupu Springs Rd. The clearest water in the world. Feed the tame eels and visit the salmon farm.
- Lollokiki Designs, 30 Commercial St, ☏ . Established in 2007, Lollokiki Boutique Gallery offers a range of art, craft and jewellery by Kas Muller and Toy Murchie.
- 1 Pohara Beach Top 10 Holiday Park, 809 Abel Tasman Drive, Pohara, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 764 272, fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Beachfront location. Accommodation options include power and tent sites, comfortable, fully equipped standard and kitchen cabins, fully serviced motel units, self-contained units and ensuite cabins. Access facilities available. Qualmark 4 Star plus Holiday Park. $34 - $155.
- 2 The Sandcastle, 32 Haile Lane, Pohara. 6 self-contained chalets set in a peaceful gardens and native bush. A spa, sauna, and cold dip are available at this relaxing facility conveniently situated between Takaka and the Totaranui beach.
- 3 Wildcat Motel, 688 Abel Tasman Drive, Pohara, ☏ .
- Onekaka – where the finest beer (Monkey Puzzle) and some of the tastiest grub can be found at the Mussel Inn, about 17 km past Takaka. Great place to do a little drinking, eating, making friends and listening to music. There's a glow-worm trail across the way that's just lovely to wander through once you've had a few.
- Collingwood – great beach, and the departure point for tours along Farewell Spit to the historic lighthouse on the tip