Tampico is a city in Tamaulipas.
- 1 Tampico International Airport (Aeropuerto Internacional General Francisco Javier Mina), Adolfo López Mateos 1001.
Alternately, Tampico is a six-hour drive away from Mexico City. Travelling from the United States, the closest border crossings are either McAllen or Brownsville, Texas. In both cases it's a six-eight hours drive.
Driving is the easiest way to travel around Tampico. Speed limits and red lights are enforced - other laws tend to be rather lax.
Taxis are relatively safe to take in and around Tampico at any time of day or night, but as always, use caution when traveling alone.
- Bullfights - Several times a year, the local cattle ranchers host a matador show, which usually lasts 3-4 days.
- Colonial square downtown, with nearby market, beautiful old cathedral, and very good shopping.
- 1 Huasteca Culture Museum (Museo de la Cultura Huasteca), ☏ . Daily 10am-6pm. Guided tours available. Adults M$33, students free.
- Laguna del Carpintero in downtown.
- [dead link] Metropolitan Cultural Center. (METRO). Opened in 2004, featuring international ballet and symphony.
- Playa Miramar is a popular beach destination for residents of Monterrey. The beach is safe and relatively clean, though some work needs to be done by the local residents and authorities on this count, especially during the high season.
- Restaurante La Troya, on the northwest corner of the main square, is a good place to eat or drink a beer with a great view of the square, but expect to pay more than you might elsewhere.
- Tacos Ana, A few minutes away from the Tampico "Zona Dorada" this fine cuisine restaurant is located, where the customers can eat some of the mexican most famous dishes. With fair prices is certainly a must in your next visit to the city.
- La Caverna, 405 Heroes del Canonero, is a life-saver. Decent beer, good pool tables and an affable barkeep/owner.
- 1 La Hacienda, 16 de Septiembre #702 PTE Ampliacion de la Unidad Nacional (Right outside the back entry of the Soriana Ampliacion under parking lot). Mexican "Antojitos", good variety of Mexican food and delicious deserts! It's open from Thursdays to Tuesdays from 7pm to almost 12am. fair.
- 1 Hotel Regis, Francisco I Madero Ote 603, ☏ . A great budget option, the rooms have fans and private bathrooms with hot water. No attached or included parking, but if you're traveling by motorcycle they'll let you roll your bike into the lobby for the night.
- 2 Hotel Inglaterra Tampico, Salvador Diaz Miron 116, ☏ . Classic luxury hotel, located next to the main square.
- 3 Hotel Posada de Tampico, Av. Miguel Hidalgo 5300, ☏ .