The second largest city of the Paraíba Valley, Taubaté was the home of actor and film director Amácio Mazaroppi and writer Monteiro Lobato, two renowned personalities of Brazilian culture; there are museums dedicated to each. The city is also an excellent base to explore the North Coast region of the state.
The city has two bus terminals:
- 1 New Terminal (Rodoviária Nova), R. Benedito da Silveira Morães, S/N - Jardim Ana Emília. State and interstate lines depart from here.
- 2 Old Terminal (Rodoviária Velha), Parque Dr. Barbosa de Oliveira, 34 - Centro. Urban and interurban lines depart from this terminal.
- Via Dutra, connects São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, passing through Taubaté and linking with nearby São José dos Campos, Aparecida and Guaratinguetá.
- Rodovia dos Trabalhadores
- Rodovia Floriano Rodrigues - Connects Taubaté to Campos do Jordão.
- Rodovia Oswaldo Cruz - Connect the city to São Luiz do Paraitinga and Ubatuba.
- 1 Sainte Therèse of Lisieux Diocesan Sanctuary (Santuário Diocesano de Santa Teresinha), Praça Santa Terezinha - Centro, ☏ . Built in 1923 in honor of St. Therèse of Lisieux, in neo-Gothic style.
- 2 Our Lady of the Pillar Chapel (Capela Nossa Senhora do Pilar), Rua Dona Chiquinha de Mattos, no number - Centro, ☏ . Oldest unchanged construction in the city. The building, under restauration, is from 1725.
- 3 Santa Clara Convent (Convento Santa Clara), Praça Anchieta, no number - Centro, ☏ . Built on a hill, the convent was founded in 1673. In 1843, a fire destroyed the building; it was rebuilt on Baroque style in 1891.
- 4 St Francis of Chagas Diocesan Cathedral (Catedral de São Francisco das Chagas), Praça Dom Epaminondas, 30 - Centro, ☏ . The first church built in this site is from 1645; the last major reform in 1945 changed the architecture to the Neocolonial style. The interior has gilded details all over the walls, and stained glass windows. It features the largest pipe organ in the Paraiba Valley.
- 5 Melkite Greek Church of St. Anna (Igreja Greco Melquita Católica de Sant'Ana), Praça Dr. Euzébio da Câmara Leal, 176 - Centro. The church building is on Romanesque style. In the beginning of the 21th century, the Roman Catholic church was converted into a Melkite Greek church, because of the large group of Arabic migrants in the city. The Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom chapel uses Portuguese and Arabic for some prayers.
- 6 Sanctuary of Perpetual Worship (Santuário de Adoração Perpétua), R. Conselheiro Moreira de Barros, 258 - Centro, ☏ . Daily, 08:00 - 18:00. Sanctuary of Sacramentinas sisters, the community was established in 1939. Free.
- 7 Our Lady of Rosary Church (Igreja Nossa Senhora do Rosário), Praça Barão do Rio Branco. Built in Baroque style in 1861 by the fellowship of black brothers. The church is in a restoration process.
- 8 Central Metodist Church of Taubaté (Igreja Metodista Central de Taubaté), R. XV de Novembro, 516, ☏ . Church founded in 1889, with a art-déco architecture style.
- 9 Italian Immigration Museum (Museu da Imigração Italiana), Av. Libero Indiani, Quiririm district, ☏ . Dedicated to the study of Italian immigration to Brazil, Italian language and culture. Housed in the former Indiani family house.
- 10 Mazzaropi Museum (Museu do Mazzaropi), Estr. Municipal Amácio Mazzaropi, 249 - Bairro Itaim, ☏ . Museum in memory of the cineast Amacio Mazzaropi, with old film equipments and scenography objects.
- 11 Monteiro Lobato Museum (Museu Monteiro Lobato), Sítio do Picapau Amarelo, ☏ . Tu-Su 9:00-17:00. Dedicated to the famous writer, housed in his grandfather's farm house, where he lived until 12 years old. Free.
- 12 Museum of Image and Sound (Museu de Imagem e Som de Taubaté - MISTAU), Av. Tomé Portes Del Rei, 761 - Vila São José, ☏ . Tu-F, 8:00-11:30 and 14:00-17:00; Sa-Su 9:00-12:00. Museum with several film props, historical city images, and musical artefacts from old local cinemas.
- 13 Natural History Museum of Taubaté (Museu de História Natural de Taubaté), ☏ . Tu-Su 10:00-17:00. R$10, students R$5.
- 14 Sacred Art Museum (Museu de Arte Sacra), R. Voluntário Pena Ramos, 100 - Centro, ☏ . Tu-F 8:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00. Museum with historical liturgical objects and images of the Diocese. Free.
- 15 Taubaté Historical Archive and Museums Division (Divisão de Museus e Arquivo Histórico de Taubaté), Av. Tomé Portes Del Rei, 925 - Cavarucanguera, ☏ . Includes the city historical museum, a historical library with the city archives and an art gallery. In the same lot, there's a building dedicated to old cars.
- 16 Human Body Didactic Museum (Museu Didático do Corpo Humano), Av. Tiradentes, 500 - Jardim das Nações, ☏ . Museum dedicated to human anatomy, with medical students of University of Taubaté as guides. Free.
- 1 Monteiro Lobato Municipal Park (Parque Municipal Monteiro Lobato), R. Mercedes Bonafé Terashima, 05 - Res. Portal da Mantiqueira, ☏ . Tu-Su, 8:00-18:00. Public Park with sports area, lake, picnic spaces and playground. Free.
- 2 Renato Correia Penna Municipal Garden (Horto Municipal Renato Correia Penna), Av. Santa Luiza de Marillac, s/n - Vila São José, ☏ . Tu-Su, 6h-18h. Public Park with a lake, mini zoo, playground and a walking area. Free.
- 3 Vale do Itaim Municipal Park (Parque Municipal do Vale do Itaim), R. José de Lima, 450 - Jardim Sandra Maria, ☏ . W-Su, 9:00-17:00. The Itaim park is a huge park with a recreation of the "Sítio do Pica Pau Amarelo" farmhouse from the Monteiro Lobato books, a locomotive tour (under reform), skate area, lakes, playground, trails and theatre. Free.
- 4 Jardim das Nações Municipal Park (Parque Municipal Jardim das Nações), R. Espanha, 180 - Jardim das Nações. Municipal Park with lake, skate area, covered sports areas, football field, sand volleyball court, playground, picnic areas, a dog park division and walking area.
- 5 Skate Plazza (Skate Plazza), 423, R. Dr. Gastão Câmara Leal, 379 - Centro. Public skate area, with different types of skate lanes. free.
|Routes through Taubaté|
|São José dos Campos ← Caçapava ←||S N||→ Pindamonhangaba → Resende|