Tauberbischofsheim is a hidden jewel among German travel destinations. Some relics of the medieval city wall, particularly a tower called Türmersturm can be viewed. For many years the town was home to the Tauberbischofsheim altarpiece, a monumental piece of German renaissance art by Matthias Grunewald (in English Master Mathis) now kept in the Staatliche Kunsthalle Karlsruhe, but there is a replice in Tauberbischofsheim. Tauberbischofsheim is especially famous for its fencers of the Fencing-Club Tauberbischofsheim, who have won several Olympic medals and world championships.
- Frankfurt Airport - The nearest intercontinental airport.
- Stuttgart - for European 'EU-domestic' flights.
- Nürnberg - for European 'EU-domestic' flights.
- Tauberbischofsheim is located to autobahn A 81, which runs from Würzburg, via Tauberbischofsheim and Heilbronn to Stuttgart. With an exit Tauberbischofsheim.
- If you prefer scenery over velocity, you should take the Romantic Road (Romantische Straße) into town.
Walking will get you from one end of town to the other in about 15 min.
Going by car is unnecessary in most cases.
In the spring and summer, biking is also highly recommended. There are a lot of bike lanes and special bike roads with no cars.
From Rothenburg ob der Tauber you can start a popular bicycle tour by the "Lovely Tauber valley" (also "Charming Tauber valley"), about Weikersheim, Bad Mergentheim, Lauda and Tauberbischofsheim, till you reach just 100 km removed Wertheim. Recommended daily stages of the route "Charming Tauber Valley":
- 1st day's stage - Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Weikersheim
- 2nd day's stage - Weikersheim via Bad Mergentheim to Tauberbischofsheim
- 3rd day's stage - Tauberbischofsheim to Wertheim
- Historical buildings. In the old town, which was formerly surrounded by a wall, there are many historical buildings.
- Tauberbischofsheim Castle. dates back to second half of the 13th century.
- Marketplace Tauberbischofsheim. is encircled by Half-Timbered houses and the Neo-Gothic town hall.
- Parish church of St. Martin (Stadtpfarrkirche St. Martin). was completed in 1914 after its predecessor burnt down. The Neo-Gothic church contains works of art from many past churches including an altar from the Ulmer workshop of Niklaus Weckmann the Elder with panel paintings by Hans Schäufelein, a Madonna by Hans Multscher and a copy of the Tauberbischofsheim altarpiece by Matthias Grünewald.
- Peterskapelle. the oldest church in the city is the Peterskapelle, built in the 12th century.
- Fencing-Club Tauberbischofsheim. the most successful fencing club in the world, based on its medal successes in international sporting events. The FC Tauberbischofsheim is based in the Olympic team's training camp Tauberbischofsheim for the sport of Fencing.
- Frankenbad. outdoor pool
- Tauberterrassen. city beach
- Wertheim Village Outlet in Wertheim (in about 25 km)
- Adlerhof (Court of Eagle), Bahnhofstraße 18 97941 Tauberbischofsheim, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Badischer Hof (Court of Baden), Hauptstraße 70 97941 Tauberbischofsheim, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The oldest hotel in Tauberbischofsheim. Near Sonnenplatz (sun place) in Tauberbischofsheim.
- Hotel St. Michael, Stammbergweg 1 97941 Tauberbischofsheim, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Taubertal-Hotel (Hotel am Brenner), Goethestraße 10 97941 Tauberbischofsheim, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.