Te Kuiti is a small town in the Waikato region of the North Island of New Zealand. It is known as the "Sheep Shearing Capital of the World" and hosts the famous Great New Zealand Muster and Running of the Sheep in April each year.
Te Kuiti is on Highway 3, between Hamilton and New Plymouth.
Intercity services between Auckland and New Plymouth stop in Te Kuiti, sometimes stopping here for refreshments.
The Northern Explorer train, which runs several days a week each way between Auckland and Wellington, will stop in Te Kuiti but only for groups of 10 or more.
You can easily walk from one end of the town to the other, though during the hot summertime you'll probably want to take a break now and then.
The train station is located in the centre of town. Exiting the station, to your left there is an Information Centre and public lavatories. Rora Street, which runs parallel to the station, has places to eat and shop.
The Information Centre can give you a map of town which points out different things to see as you walk around the town.
- Great New Zealand Muster. This is a famous New Zealand event in which sheep from the surrounding area run into Te Kuiti. Sheep-shearing competitions and general fun are to be had.
- 1 Railway Villa Heritage Centre, 239 Rora Street. Daily 11AM-3PM. See the restoration of a 1920s railway villa. Free.
- 2 Te Kuiti railway station. A fine wooden station on the North Island Main Trunk. The Northern Explorer passes through 6 time a week, but rarely stops, which give you plenty of time to look at "the finest remaining example of a standard class B station".
- 1 Tiffany's Cafe, 241 Rora St, ☏ +64 7-878 8872. 7AM-8PM. Has a good selection, and stays open into the evenings.
- 2 Fish Town Chinese and European Restaurant, 179 Rora St, ☏ +64 7-878 8168. 10AM-9:30PM. The name says it all. If you are looking for a Chinese take-away this is where to get it.
- 1 Te Kuiti Camping Ground, Hinerangi St (next to "The Domain", on the edge of town). Cheapest place to stay - cabins for $70 or so for a family, tent campsites and caravan sites available for less. Kitchen and clean if basic showers. An easy walk from the train station.
- 2 Motel Te Kuiti, 30 King St West, ☏ +64 7 878-3448, firstname.lastname@example.org. 12-room motel, with cooking facilities in the rooms. From $105.
- 1 Waitomo District Library, 28 Taupiri Street. M - F 10AM - 5PM, Sa 9.30AM - 12.30PM.
- New Plymouth
- Waitomo - glowworm caves, 15 minutes drive (18 km) away