Tegal is the home of the ubiquitous warteg eating places across Indonesia (from Warung Tegal), known for their low prices.
Tegal is on the North Coast Route trunk road (Jalur Pantura). From the west, a tolled motorway connects Jakarta, 275 km (171 mi), and Cirebon, 75 km (47 mi), with Tegal. The toll ends at Tegal's western outskirts. To the east, the trunk road continues to the provincial capital Semarang, 160 km (99 mi).
- 1 Tegal railway station (in the center of the city). The station serves about 15 trains per day from Jakarta, and a similar number from Semarang (many of them originating in East Java). There are also three trains a day from Purwokerto, and one from Bandung (via Cikampek).
By ride-hailing appEdit
There are some online ride-hailing apps such as Gojek. You may choose to go by motorcycle or car.
- 1 Bahari Waterpark Tegal.
- Tahu aci (fried flour-filled tofu)
- Tahu pletok (fried flour-filled tofu)
- Sate Tegal (young goat or mutton satay)
- Sauto is soto, the widely available clear broth soup, but with the addition of fermented soybeans (tauco) giving a delicious umami hit. Widely available.
- Nasi bogana, rice with side dishes wrapped in banana leaves.
- Kue pia, mung bean pastry.
- Olos, tapioca starch batter snack.
- Glotak, a spicy dish made from gembus (Javanese dregs tofu).
- Rujak teplak, boiled veggies with cassava sauce.
- 1 Sate Batibul Bang Awi, Jl Raya Ujung Rusi 11, Adiwerna, ☏ . daily 09:00-23:00. This is goat satay made from kids under three months old (the name batibul is from di bawah tiga bulan = below three months), a specialty of Tegal.
- 2 Kupat Glabed Randugunting, Jl. Ayam No.26, Randugunting, Tegal Selatan. Tu-Su, 17:30-22:30. Serves kupat glabed, rice cake with tempeh in gravy. It is served with satay.
Tegal is famous for tea served in a small earthenware teapot (hence its name teh poci or teapot tea, clay pot tea), with little earthenware cups to drink it from. Normally strong, and served with a lump of rock sugar so big that it barely fits into the cup. Widely available.
In the Slawi District of Tegal, there is a local iced drink called es lontrong, made from agar, mung bean, white bread, coconut milk, and pandan syrup.
- Brebes — known for its duck-salted egg.
- Cirebon — the 'city of shrimps', a city about 80 km (50 mi) to the west.
- Pemalang — one of the pineapple cities.
|Routes through Tegal|
|Anyer ← Brebes ←||W E||→ Pemalang → Panarukan|