Tielt is a small town in the eastern part of the Belgian province of West Flanders. Tielt is about 25 km south of Bruges, the capital of the province. The town has about 20,000 inhabitants.
The 1 Tielt Railway Station is located quite centrally in the town. Tielt is located on the railway line which connects Deinze and Ghent with the coastal resort town of De Panne. Trains cover the distance from the Ghent Sint-Pieters station to Tielt in about 25 minutes.
The Flemish national bus company, De Lijn, has lines to Tielt from Ghent, Bruges, Kortrijk and other neighbouring towns. Timetables are available online.
A bike can be rented with the Blue Bike service. This service point is next to the train station. Before renting a bike one must first obtain a Blue Bike card which costs €12. There are several Blue Bike centres across Belgium so if you are planning to visit several towns this may be a very good investment.
- 1 Belfry (Hallentoren).
- 2 Town Hall, Markt 13.
- 3 St. Peter's Church (Sint-Pieterskerk). The oldest church of Tielt.
- 4 House Mulle de Terschueren, Ieperstraat 46. The original garden was redeveloped as a public park in the 1980s. The house is the property of the municipality and open to the public.
- 5 Former Friars Minor Church (Voormalige Minderbroederskerk), Patersdreef. The church was part of the Friars Minor Monastery that was founded in 1624. The church was built in 1707 in simple Baroque style. The last Friars Minor left the monastery in 2007.
- 6 Liberation Monument (Bevrijdingsmonument), Generaal Maczekplein. A tank monument in memory of the Polish liberators of this town by general Maczek and his troops. They liberated the town on September 8, 1944. The monument consists of a Sherman Fireflytank with a plaque, a memorial wall, cobblestones and several flags, the memorial was inaugurated in 1979 by Polish General Stanisław Maczek.
- 7 Poelberg Mill (Poelbergmolen).
- 1 De Traagheid, Krommewalstraat 6, ☏ +32 51 81 52 81.
- 1 Bar Seize, Markt 16, ☏ +32 483 634 478.
- 2 D'hespe, Sint-Janstraat, ☏ +32 492 587 626.
- 1 Sleutelhuys, Rameplein 23, ☏ +32 4 74 09 2786. Check-out: 11:00.
- 2 Shamrock, Euromarktlaan 24, ☏ +32 51 40 15 31. Check-in: 11:00, check-out: 10:00.
- 3 El Parador, Ruiseleedsesteenweg 11, ☏ +32 51 40 58 55, email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00.
Most bars and restaurants have free WiFi and will be happy to share the password.
- 1 Post Office, Beernegemstraat 46.
- Ghent – the regional capital with a large medieval centre is easily accessible by train