Tifton is a city of 17,000 people (2019) in the Plantation Midlands of Georgia. Sites in the area include the Coastal Plain Research Arboretum, Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, and the Georgia Museum of Agriculture & Historic Village. The Tifton Residential Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tifton was founded in 1872 in Berrien County at the junction of the Georgia Southern and Florida Railroad and the Brunswick and Western Railroad by sawmill owner Henry H. Tift. Tifton was incorporated as a city in 1890. In 1905, it was designated county seat of the newly formed Tift County.
Several Chicago-Florida passenger trains made stops in Tifton: the Atlantic Coast Line's Seminole, Flamingo and City of Miami and the Southern Railway's Ponce de Leon and Royal Palm. With the discontinuance of the Royal Palm in 1970, Tifton was left without passenger service.
Interstate 75, US 82, US 319.
- [dead link] Tifton Museum of Arts and Heritage, 255 Love Ave, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Georgia Museum of Agriculture and Historic Village, 1392 Whiddon Mill Rd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Museum, gallery, and historic village: Tu-Sa 9AM-4PM; steam engine train ride: Sa 9AM-4PM; country store: M-Sa 9AM-5PM. Tu–F: adult $7, senior (age 55+) $6, child (5-16) $4, child 4 and under free; Sa (includes train ride): adult $10, senior (age 55+) $8, child (5–16) $5, child 4 and under free.
- Tifton Terminal Railway Museum, 120 Tift Avenue South, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Th-Sa noon-5PM. Free.
- Tift Theatre for the Performing Arts, 320 Main St S, ☏ .
- Asahi Express Japanese Steak, 814 2nd St W,, ☏ . 11AM - 9:30PM. Best Asian food in Tifton. Beautiful Koi fish. Be patient with waiters. Best place to bring a date. $6 - 14.
- El Cazador, 1103 King Rd, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM - 10PM, F Sa 11AM-10:30PM. Reserve at least one week ahead (one month for Cinco de Mayo). Great for impressing out-of-town guests.
- Hog-N-Bones (Formerly Sonnys), 2008 US Highway 82 W, ☏ . M-TH 6AM-8PM, F Sa 6AM-9PM. Great local bbq and beer, no reservations.
- The local area code is 229 and is not required for local calls.
|Routes through Tifton|
|Macon ← Warner Robins ←||N S||→ Hahira → Gainesville|
|Macon ← Warner Robins ←||N S||→ Hahira → Lake City|
|Albany ← Sylvester ←||W E||→ Waycross → Brunswick|
|Tallahassee ← Moultrie ←||SW NE||→ Fitzgerald → Dublin|