municipality and city in Portugal
Torres Novas (TOH-rr(ih)zh NAW-vuhsh, /ˈto.ʁɨʒ ˈnɔ.vɐʃ/) municipality has 34,149 residents (2021 preliminary). The municipality includes the town of Riachos.
- 1 Posto de Turismo (Tourist Information Office), Rua de Entre Muros 3, ☏ . M–Sa 10:00–16:00, closed Su.
- 1 Estação Ferroviária de Riachos-Torres Novas-Golegã (Riachos-Torres Novas-Golegã train station), Largo da Estação, Riachos. PDF timetable. Served by Regional trains on the Linha do Norte (Northern Line) from Lisbon, Entroncamento, and Tomar.
- Rede Expressos provides intercity bus service.
- The A23 motorway (Autoestrada da Beira Interior) serves Torres Novas directly from Entroncamento, Abrantes, Castelo Branco, Covilhã, and Guarda.
- The A1 motorway (Autoestrada do Norte) skirts the western edge of the municipality, providing access from Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra, Aveiro, and Leiria.
- The northern portion of the A13 motorway (Autoestrada do Pinhal Interior) ends just outside the municipality in Entroncamento, providing access from Tomar and Coimbra.
- 1 Casa Memorial Humberto Delgado, Rua Eng. Jorge Marques de Oliveira 19, Boquilobo, Brogueira, ☏ . Birthplace of and museum dedicated to Humberto Delgado, the "fearless general" of the air force who founded TAP Air Portugal and worked to overthrow the dictatorial Salazar regime.
- 2 Castelo de Torres Novas (Castle of Torres Novas). The medieval castle is a national monument.
- 3 Grutas de Lapas, Lapas. Neolithic caves that are the source of local legends. The village's houses, and possibly the city's castle, were built from stone quarried here.
- 4 Museu Municipal Carlos Reis, Rua do Salvador 10, ☏ . Tu–F 09:00–12:30 & 14:00–17:30, Sa Su 14:00–18:00, closed Su. Artefacts of the civilizations and cultures of the Torres Novas region throughout the ages.
- 5 Praça 5 de Outubro. The city's main square.
- 6 Roman ruins of Villa Cardillio (Ruínas romanas de Vila Cardílio), Caveira, Santa Maria. Site of a 1st-century Roman farmhouse. Many archeological pieces were excavated here and are now found at the Museu Municipal Carlos Reis. Mosaic tile flooring remain on view at the site. National monument.
- 1 Restaurante A Brasa, Rua do Sargaço 5, Riachos, ☏ . M–Sa 09:00–22:00, closed Su. €7-20.
- 2 De'Gustar, Avenida Andrade Corvo 1 (Palácio dos Desportos), ☏ , email@example.com. M–Sa 10:00–02:00, Su 10:00–00:00. €10-35.
- 3 Solar da Valada, Quinta da Valada, Nicho, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu–Sa 12:00–15:00 & 19:00–22:00, Su 12:00–15:00, closed M. €10-20.
- 1 Aires da Serra Hotel, Avenida dos Negréus 70, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Four-star, 18-room hotel with outdoor swimming pool, game room, bar, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. €58-101.
- 2 Hotel Torres Novas, Praça 5 de Outubro 5, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star, 42-room hotel with hot tub, fitness centre, restaurant, bar, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. €46-76.
- 3 Quinta Manel da Gaita, Rua 25 de Abril 22, Ribeira Ruiva, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 10-room rural guest house with hot tub, restaurant, bar, free breakfast, free Wi-Fi, and free parking. €49-74.