city in Fukui Prefecture, Japan
Tsuruga (敦賀市 Tsuruga-shi) is a city in Fukui Prefecture.
Tsuruga has been a natural seaport for ages, and these days it is flourishing as a sea gateway to foreign countries. Container ships and high-speed ferries are in service daily, and people and goods are traveling and transporting via the port.
- 1 Shin-Nihonkai Ferry (新日本海フェリー), Mariyama 95-4, ☏ +81 770-23-2223. This ferry has lines connecting daily to Tomakomai port at Hokkaido (20 hr). Once in a week there is a line to Tomakomai with stops in Niigata and Akita.
- Limited Express Thunderbird. This JR train connnects with Kyoto, 1 hr, and Osaka, 1 hr 20 min.
- 2 Tsuruga Information Center (敦賀観光案内所), Kanawacho 1-1-19 (In JR Tsuruga Station), ☏ +81 770-21-8686. Daily 08:00-19:00. Loads of local sightseeing information available here.
- 1 Kehi Shrine (氣比神宮), Akebonocho 11-68, ☏ +81 770-22-0794. A well-known shrine throughout its history, its gate is renowned as one of the Top 3 torii gates in the nation, and the shrine was visited in 1689 by theh poet Matsuo Basho on his famous trip through northern Japan.
- Matsumoto Statues (松本零士シンボルロード). About twenty bronze statues of characters and scenes from the popular anime and manga by Leiji Matsumoto are scattered across the downtown. The statues, each perhaps 1.2-1.5 m (4-5 feet) tall, were erected in 1999.
- 1 Kehi no Matsubara (気比の松原). A recreational area along the Tsuruga Bay. It combines a large pine grove with a white sand beach, very popular with swimmers in summer season.
- Tsuruga Tunnel Hot Springs (敦賀トンネル温泉), Mukaide, 41 Yoshiko (From Tsuruga Station take a Fukutetsu Bus to Tunnel Onsen). The hot spring was discovered during a railway tunnel digging. An indoor and outdoor spa is located on a hill, and bathers can enjoy a beautiful view of the town and the bay.
Tsuruga is a major fishing port on the Sea of Japan. Enjoy freshly-caught seafood at local markets, sushi shops, and restaurants. Famous seafood delicacies include Tsuruga blowfish and, in the winter, Echizen crab.
|Routes through Tsuruga|
|Fukui ← Echizen ←||N S||→ Nagahama → Maibara|
|Komatsu ← Fukui ← Takefu ←||N S||→ Nagahama → Maibara|
|Maizuru Higashi ← Obama ←||W E||→ in to|