The Tuamotu Islands are a vast archipelago of several island groups in French Polynesia.
King George IslandsEdit
- Manihi — a ring shaped atoll that forms a lagoon perfect for scuba diving and black pearl farming. With only 400 local inhabitants working at either the pearl farms or the single resort, this destination is truly at the edge of the world.
- Undeveloped — Ahe (100 people), Takapoto (440 residents), Takaroa (1,000 residents)
- Uninhabited — Tikei.
- Fakarava — also great for diving. It has 2 passes, the north Garuae pass and the south Tumakohua pass. They are quite far away from each other, but local dive operators will take you to both. Sharks are aplenty in the south pass of Fakarava!
- Rangiroa — one of the largest atolls in the world, and the most populous island in the Tuamotus. Very popular with SCUBA enthusiast and those looking to get away from civilization.
- Tikehau — one resort, plus great diving and birding.
- Undeveloped — Apataki (400 residents), Arutua (1,750 residents), Kaukura (500 residents), Mataiva (200 residents), Niau (100 residents), Toau (40 residents).
- Uninhabited — Makatea (one ghost town and a visit from Harrison Ford in Six Days Seven Nights).
- Undeveloped — Anaa (400 residents), Aratika (250 residents), Faaite (250 residents), Katiu (250 residents), Kauehi (670 residents), Makemo (900 residents), Nihiru (25 residents), Raroia (150 residents), Taenga (Mormon community of 75 residents), Takume, (100 residents).
- Uninhabited — Haraiki, Hiti, Marutea Nord, Motutunga, Raraka, Tahanea, Taiaro (private), Tepoto Sud, Tuanake,
- Undeveloped — Napuka (250 residents), Puka-Puka (100 residents), Tepoto Nord (50 residents).
Duke of Gloucester IslandsEdit
- Undeveloped — Hereheretue (50 residents), Nukutepipi (2 residents).
- Uninhabited — Anuanuraro, Anuanurunga.
The Tuamotu Islands are the largest chain of atolls in the world. All of the islands are low lying atolls, built on coral reefs. The most important source of cash income in the Tuamotu Islands is black pearl cultivation.
- Black pearl farms