Get in edit
By plane edit
The nearest airports are Amarillo International Airport and Lubbock International Airport. Amarillo International Airport can be reached non-stop from Albuquerque, Dallas, Denver, Houston, and Las Vegas. Lubbock International Airport can be reached non-stop from Albuquerque, Austin, Dallas, El Paso, Houston, and Las Vegas.
By car edit
- Texas Highway 86 passes through town, intersecting US 287 north of Childress at Estelline to the east, and I-27 south of Amarillo at Tulia to the west.
- Texas Highway 70 connects in the north to Clarendon, I-40, and Pampa, and in the south to Roaring Springs and eventually intersects I-20 at Sweetwater.
Get around edit
- Bob Wills Museum (Sixth at Lyles), ☏ . M Tu 9AM-11:30AM and 1-5PM; W-F 8AM-11AM and 1-5PM. Bob Wills, the legendary bandleader known as the King of Western Swing, was from Turkey, and this museum memorializes him with exhibits from his life and from his band, the Texas Playboys.
- Bob Wills Festival. Last Saturday in April. Celebrating the music of the legendary fiddler. Crowds range from 10,000 to 15,000 people.
- [dead link] Windmill Collectiques, 204 Main Ave, ☏ . Antiques and collectibles.
- Turkey Drive In, 900 S 9th St, ☏ .
- [dead link] Hotel Turkey (3rd at Alexander), ☏ . This historic inn has been in continuous operation since it was built in 1927. The original decor of the 15 rooms has been charmingly preserved.
Go next edit
- Caprock Canyons State Park lies only 15 miles to the northeast.
- Pole Canyon Ranch, 8 miles south of nearby Quitaque on FM 689, +1 806 455-1446. This 6000 acre ranch has over 20 miles of trails on land steeped in Comanche history. Horse rentals, a guesthouse, and RV hook-ups are all available.
|Routes through Turkey|
|Pampa ← Clarendon ←||N S||→ Sweetwater → Jct|