42.892145-78.8725691Alleyway Theatre, 672 Main St. (1941; Roswell E. Pfohl with A. W. Arrasmith)
A mainstay of Buffalo's Theatre District since 1985 that's famous for its annual production of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, the Streamline Moderne-style Alleyway Theatre was Buffalo's original Greyhound bus station — take a walk down Curtain Up Alley and you'll see the old loading bays and parking areas for buses. The lobby once housed a 150-seat restaurant, and the original ticket counter is still in use. Greyhound abandoned the building in 1979 when the new bus station on North Division Street was erected, and it served as a police station for several years before being leased to the Buffalo Theater Collective.
42.893279-78.8397222Eckhardt's/Kobacker's Department Store, 950 Broadway (1940; Bley & Lyman)
Though the current building dates to 1940, it was in 1891 when John Eckhardt and his wife Kate opened their dry-goods store in the heart of Buffalo's Polish business district. They retired in 1920 but retained ownership of the lot, and after coming out of retirement in 1939 they tore down the old place and had this 42,000-square-foot Streamline Moderne building erected in its place. Witness the granite, light cream terra cotta and stainless steel on the facade, as well as the faded yet still visible designs running between the first and second floor and culminating on the curved corner. The new Eckhardt's only lasted a year before the owners died; in the ensuing years it was home to locations of Kobacker's and Goldblatt's department stores, Sears, and most recently a job training center for the New York State Department of Labor. Recently purchased and renovated by Cedarland Development, who've been trying to lease space in the building for a few years now without much success.
42.91101-78.8969233Dr. Antonia Pantoja Community School of Academic Excellence, 750 West Ave. (1941; Daniel G. McNeil)
The original Public School 18 was built in 1848 a block north of here at the corner of School Street and West Avenue. Its current building is the fourth to house it. Look at that Streamline Moderne detailing!
Ken-Ton Municipal Building
Liberty Bank branch on Genesee St
Liberty Bank branch on Bailey and Kensington
Pierce-Arrow Showroom, Main & Jewett
Courier-Express Building, Main & Goodell
Buffalo Industrial Bank Bldg, Court & Pearl
Vars Bldg, Delaware & Tupper
Morris Manor Apts./Bennett Apts.
Mabel Danahy Building, 443 Delaware
Niagara Mohawk Bldg (interior)
Universal International Film Vault/Dinosaur BBQ (Art Moderne)
That building on Main near Harlem in Snyder, sort of across from Bagel Jay's
That former industrial plant on Eggert and Sugar
WBEN building, Grand Island
United Office Building/The Giacomo, NFNY - anything else in the Falls?
Those buildings on the opposite side of Niagara Square from City Hall