Veitshöchheim , is a small town in Lower Franconia, Germany. Its main claim to fame and indeed the first thing many people think of when hearing the name is the fact that "Fastnacht in Franken", a humorous tv program during carnival, is shot here.
Veitshöchheim is a very beautiful small town with a château (Schloss) and a Rococo garden. The town itself has a very well preserved, picturesque look. The edges of town have a semi-rural look.
An approximate pronunciation of Veitshöchheim for English speakers is: fights-HURKH-highm.
- 1 Veitshöchheim station. Veitshöchheim's railway station lies on the Main-Spessart railway line from the Würzburg main railway station to Aschaffenburg und Hanau via Karlstadt.
If you are based in Würzburg, take a round-trip boat trip on the Main river to Veitshöchheim. The tour boat runs several times daily from April to mid October, a one-way trip lasting about 40 minutes. A regular one way ticket is 9€ a round trip will set you back 12€. Reduced rates for kids.
There are various picturesque streets within the town itself.
- 1 Veitshöchheim Schloss (château). the former summer residence of the prince bishop of Würzburg
- Rococo garden.
- 2 Pfarrkirche St. Vitus. church built in 1690/91.
- Railway station. built in 1850
- Tower (near the station). a quaint old tower guarding a canal supplying water to the Schloss.
- 3 Jüdisches Kulturmuseum Veitshöchheim. A museum dedicated to the Jewish history of this and other rural communities in Franconia
- 1 Fischerbärbel Restaurant & Café, Mainlände 5, 97209 Veitshöchheim, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Winter (Oct - Apr): Tue - Sun 12.00 - 21.00, Monday is rest day; Summer (May - Sep): daily 11.00 - 22.00 (closed in case of rain Monday). Large selection of fish from local waters. Known beyond the borders of Franconia for Meefischli with homemade potato salad and apple remoulade.
- 2 Cafe Restaurant Sonnenschein, Mainlände 6, 97209 Veitshöchheim, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. daily 10.30 - 23.00 (hot meals until 22.00); Nov - mid-March Mon + Tue are rest days, Wed - Sun 11.00 - 22.00 (hot meals until 21.00).
- Ratskeller Veitshöchheim (in the former kitchen building of the Schloss; Biergarten, Restaurant, Hotel), Erwin Vornberger Platz, 97209 Veitshöchheim, ☏ .
- Wiener Botschaft (Austrian specialties), Herrnstraße 19, 97209 Veitshöchheim, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel & Wirtshaus Spundloch, Kirchstraße 19, 97209 Veitshöchheim, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. midrange.
- Hotel am Main, Untere Maingasse 35, 97209 Veitshöchheim, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. midrange.
- Hotel-Café Müller, Thüngersheimerstr. 8, 97209 Veitshöchheim, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. midrange.
Margetshöchheim is a pleasant town across the river from Veitshöchheim. There is a pedestrian bridge over the river Main between Veitshöchheim (north side of town) and Margetshöchheim.