Vieng Phouka is a town in Northern Laos.
Vieng Phoukha is a mountainous district in the south of Luang Nam Tha Province on Rd 3 about 60 km from Luang Nam Tha town.
Vieng Phoukha is the main town between Nam Tha and Huay Xai in Bokeo, so if you are entering or exiting Laos you will pass through this town.
There is a bus from Luang Nam Tha 3 times a day to/from the local bus station, 20,000 kip, 1.5-2 hours. There is also a bus to/from Huay Xai.
- Bor Kung Nature Park.
- Wat Ban Thio.
Vieng Phoukha offers some of the most spectacular trekking in Luang Nam Tha Province, but there aren't many tourists in the town. If you are coming here to trek, don't rely on others as chances are that you will be the only Westerner in town.
- Tourism Information and Trekking Guide Service Centre (300 m from Rte 3). Often closed as all the guides are primarily farmers and turn up only if trekkers are on sight!
- Bus Stop Restaurant (On Rte 3 at the bus stop). Good fried noodles. Lots of dishes and English menu. Nice, friendly staff.
- Nang Sone (Near Thong Mexai Guesthouse). A nice restaurant in the south of town. Has English menu. Food is nice. 10,000–30,000 kip for a dish.
- Welcome Home (Just before the bridge on the left). 16:30–22:30. Little restaurant. Has nice view of the Chook River. 10,000–30,000 kip.
- Bo Kung (600 m SW of Rte 3, 200m from tourism office). Simple bamboo rooms. Quiet. 30,000+ kip.
- Phet Mongkun (After the bridge on the right). Simple wooden rooms. 30,000+ kip.
- Sai Nam Chook (Before the bridge on the right).
- Thong Mexai. Simple but nice bamboo bungalows, overlooking the river. Bath is in the river, and toilet depends on the rate. Nice family runs the place, and it has food. 20,000 kip outside toilet; 30,000 kip private toilet.