Sotkamo is in Kainuu. The municipality is best known for the Vuokatti ski resort, just outside the town.
Vuokatti is a diverse ski and sports resort by a couple of lakes in the municipality of Sotkamo. There are many hotels, resorts and cottages to stay in and enjoy the nature and doings.
Kajaani is the nearest major city, served by planes, buses and trains. From there you can travel to Sotkamo by bus. As otherwise in rural Finland, car is your other option for getting in. In the wintertime, the free Vuokatti SkiBus operates between Sotkamo and Vuokatti.
If you arrived by car in Sotkamo, using the car is good for traveling longer distances (which are present in there).
- Valopilkku (Taksi Helsinki). Taxis ordered by smart phone app. Pricing not told on the web.
- 1 Sotkamo museum, Sopalantie 1, 88600 Sotkamo, ☏ . Two old granaries are the museum of local history and culture in Sotkamo
- 2 Tervajärvi house museum, Tervajärventie 16, 88600 Sotkamo, ☏ . Tervajärvi is a classic Kainuu farmhouse. The museum contais main building, built in the 19th century and three storage houses.
- 1 Vuokatti (7 km east of Sotkamo centre). Ski resort.
- 1 Hiidenportti National Park (Hiidenportin kansallispuisto), Hiidenportintie 86 (30 km from the centre, mostly by small roads, signposted from road 76 towards Kuhmo), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. 24 hours daily. National park offering silence, old-growth forest and the Hiidenportti gorge. The road leads to the Porttilampi parking near the main attractions. Hiidenportti can be seen on a 3 km circle trail. There are lean-to shelters for breaks and for those wanting to make a longer hike and stay overnight. Free, including stays in the shelters.